Color of one of my actions is stuck -- can't seem to change it

I have an action whose color I cannot change or remove. Furthermore, it's a color that isn't even a color option in the menu. I don't know how it got that color -- I created the macro some time ago. The attached images shows that I have selected red as the color, but the action is still blue. I'm able to change colors for the other actions but not this one. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Most likely you have done a KM macro search, and you are seeing the highlight color of found items.
Just clear the Search in the upper right corner of the KM Editor.

1 Like

Oh for goodness sake! That was it. I donā€™t often do searches so that threw me. Thank you and my apologies for the silly oversight.

1 Like

No problem. It threw me off also the first time I encountered it.
All problems should be so easy to solve. LOL

I remember the first time this happened to me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong. And I wasn't exactly a newbie either. So you're not alone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You donā€™t show people which actions match the search, and they complain. You show them, and they complain.

Gee itā€™s rough being an app developer! :wink:

2 Likes

Sheesh, developers are such prima-donnas. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry if it sounded like I was complaining. I wasnā€™t. I just didnā€™t realize it highlighted the match. I happened to have had a couple other actions in that macro colored so my first assumption was that I had incorrectly colored one of them. But now I know and Iā€™m fine with it.

It sounds like you have gotten complaints on this. A thought: Maybe they arenā€™t complaining that the results are highlighted but rather how theyā€™re highlighted. Maybe there are people who colorize actions more than I do so coloring the results may not be as easily distinguishable. Maybe a pattern, icon, or colored border would be more distinct while not interfering with user assigned action colors.

1 Like

Yep, that's exactly the issue. Too close to the Purple color.

Iā€™m only joking about complaining, Iā€™ve noted it down as an issue. The blue is chosen to match the (normal) selection.

Iā€™m thinking a simple solution would be to add the color to the color selector, but disabled and marked with ā€œSearch Matchā€ or some such to give a clue as to why it is colored.

While there is no one color used by all apps, the most common color I have seen is yellow, to indicate items that match a search/find. Many apps use two colors: one to indicate the current match, another to indicate other matches, where most often āŒ˜G goes to the next match.

Since yellow is one of the color we can select for an action, obviously the matched item color would need to be something else. Perhaps it could a KM Pref.

The current "blue" does NOT stand out very much.

Personally, I like the idea of a patterned color. Hatched, or something like that.

Done for the next version.

3 Likes