A "hidden" feature? Or no?

Like most of you, I rely upon KM daily and am grateful for such an amazing tool. But for some time now I've been puzzled by one particular aspect:

In the "Select or Show a Menu Item" macro, we're asked to specify the target application. (See the red box in the image below.) But after doing so, and after subsequently clicking on Menu in order to specify the command (see the yellow arrow), I'd expect to be shown only the menus belonging to the app previously selected.

But that's not what happens. Instead, we're once again shown a list of all running applications. So we then have to specify the target application—yet again—before we can choose from its menus and commands.

This seems redundant, but that leads to my question: Is there a "hidden" advantage to showing all running apps again under Menu?

At first I wondered if this might allow us to specify an action in one app while another app is focused. But since we're asked to specify the application from which a menu command will be chosen (red box), that would seem to prevent the above. So, I'm just wondering if there's something else I hadn't yet considered. Thanks.

The user is not asked to specify an application. The user of the Select Or Show A Menu Item action may go directly to the Menu dropdown (specified by the yellow arrow in your image) without specifying an app (the red box in your image).

If that's true, why does "Select menu in…" (in the red box) even exist?

Since I'm not the developer I can only speculate. Like many aspects of a computer interface, it's maybe part of giving the user the option of entering the information in multiple ways. As an example elsewhere, it's akin to being able to right click on something to select Copy, but the user could also use Edit > Copy or Command-C. Why are there three ways for that? User options, I guess.

No, it's not like that at all. Because Copy is a self-contained command. No matter which way you choose it, the command is complete.

Conversely, in the example above, selecting the application (red box) is an incomplete command; something else must be done (choosing a menu command) in order for the action to be completed.

Put simply:

• Selecting from the red box literally requires a visit to the yellow-arrow area.

[EDIT: I was mistaken above. Menus can be typed in manually, so a visit to the yellow-arrow area is not required. But my original question remains unanswered.]

• Skipping the red box and going to the yellow arrow appears to render the red-box area wholly unnecessary.

So, choosing the application from the red-box area and choosing the application from the yellow-arrow area are NOT AT ALL the same, because the former is an incomplete command, while the latter is a complete command.

I appreciate your willingness to help, but respectfully, you're merely guessing, when you don't actually know the answer.

Again, thank you, but I'm looking for a definitive answer. :blush:

This is not correct. Using the red box menu the user could select an app. The user could then use the fields to type the desired information for Menu Title (e.g., Edit) and for Menu Item (e.g., Paste).

Respectfully? I said as much myself.

And there is at least one specific reason for wanting to type into the fields rather than selecting from the drop-down menu: wildcards. This KM wiki article discusses them:

Select or Show a Menu Item

You're correct. Menus can be typed manually. But none of this answers my original question:

Is there an advantage to having two ways to specify the application immediately next to each other? Or is this merely redundant?

Please allow someone who knows the answer to respond. Thanks.