A keyboard shortcut to restore a set of Finder window tabs?

It's not necessary to move the calling macro, Open New Window With 4 Tabs, into the ⋮Finder Assistant group. In fact, I suggest you move it to one of your other macro groups (or to Global Macro Group) since it's not part of Finder Assistant; instead it's just leveraging the subroutines within.

I think I understand your comment, but just to make sure it's working as I expect...

You got one new window (with four tabs), not four windows, right?

You're welcome!

As you are playing, you might want to refer to the magenta header comment at the top of sub 𝗌.𝗳𝗻𝗱⇾NewTabOrWindowInSpace (located in the ⋮Finder Assistant group).

Also, feel free to ask follow-up questions.

BTW, I use 16 Mission Control Desktop Spaces on my MacBook Pro. Space within the sub name, 𝗌.𝗳𝗻𝗱⇾NewTabOrWindowInSpace, is referring to the currently open Mission Control Space. If you use only one space, then the reference in the subroutine name is moot. (If I've just confused you, ignore this paragraph. :wink:)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Here are some followups:

• I moved the macro into Global Macro Group, renamed it "Open New Window With My Tabs" and defined my current 7 tabs as the ones to open. For some reason it's not as speedy at that first macro I tested, but that's not to say it's slow at all. But it does seem to take a second for each tab. Still - this is a recovery macro, so that's fine.

• The Finder window that opens is quite narrow. Can that be adjusted? Of course I can just drag it wider after it opens.

• When pasting in the folder directory into each NewTabOrWIndowInSpace dialog I thought the paths were getting truncated at first. But I saw they were all there. It just wasn't obvious at first.

• In answer to your question, yes, it's working as expected. I got one new window with just the specified tabs, not four windows.

I'll take a look at the sub macro you mentioned.

I will ignore your desktop spaces comment for now. :slight_smile: I have one external monitor, but I think everything's in one space.

I wonder what would make a good keyboard shortcut for this that wouldn't trample on everything else. Right now I'm opening up KM and clicking the Try button to execute it.

Thanks.

Yes, open Open New Window With 4 Tabs and adjust WindowArgs (x, y, width, height).

For more information on WindowArgs, see this link: Positioning & Resizing Windows, Dialogs, and Lists Using WindowArgs

The WindowArgs I specified (0% 0% 50% 75%) worked well on my 16" MacBook Pro, but if you have a narrower display, you might need to increase the width.