A tag-free view of the forum?

I’m sure that the tagging of posts has tremendous value in some contexts, but at the moment I’m finding it just slightly cluttering – more visual noise, and harder at-a-glance scanning of recent posts.

Does the forum software allow for opting out of them, or switching them off until they’re needed ?

( I think their value might be more appreciated in time of need if their day-to-day cognitive cost were lower )

+1 Tagging seems to be TMI

I completely disagree.

Finding things on the forum is difficult enough as it is.

Tags only show up in one limited place in any given topic and become easy to ignore (if you want to ignore them).

I think over time they're going to be very handy.

-Chris

I completely disagree.

Sure – for some of us it's a help, the kind of thing we would want switched on all the time, for others it's just noise, clamour and TMI.

And that, of course, is the point of options.

The best place to ask this would be on the meta.discourse.org forum, or with the tagging author directly.

The Official Discourse Tags Plugin: discourse-tagging

It’s possible there is some user-level option, or its possible such an option could be added.

Another possibility might be a custom style sheet which I believe most web browsers support. Setting the .discourse-tag display style to none will remove the tags (whether it has some negative impact elsewhere I don’t know).

1 Like

You could install TamperMonkey then add the following script. It will inject custom style sheet code that hides the tags.

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Hide Discourse Tags
// @namespace    http://insomniacsoftware.com/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Simply hides the Discourse Tags
// @author       Onan of Insomniac Software
// @include      https://forum.keyboardmaestro.com/*
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    var css = [
        ".list-tags, .discourse-tags",
        "{ display: none !important; }"
    ].join("\n");

var node = document.createElement("style");
	node.type = "text/css";
	node.appendChild(document.createTextNode(css));
	var divs = document.getElementsByClassName("list-tags");
	if (divs.length > 0) {
		divs[0].appendChild(node);
	} else {
		document.documentElement.appendChild(node);
	}
})();
1 Like

It will inject custom style sheet code that hides the tags.

Perfect – many thanks – and your code works well in a KM Execute JavaScript in Google Chrome action too.

This macro uses your script to switch to a cleaner and more readable view of the forum, and tags can be restored, when they are of interest, with a ⌘R page reload.

Tag-free view of KM forum page.kmmacros (2.9 KB)

1 Like

I have added (to the macro section) an updated macro which toggles in and out of the tag-free view:

1 Like

Maybe a bit OT, but I find that tagging can be a beneficial thing to this this forum. OK, the tags at the moment are still imperfect, but this will improve.

I’m ambiguous to tagging. I never used it in the Finder (though I tried), I once used it in DevonThink and now I’m using it in EagleFiler. I’m not (efficiently) using it in the Finder because, probably, I’m just too habituated to folder hierarchies. But in some limited scopes it’s very useful. And I think this may be also the case here.

And I don’t see the TMI.

¢¢