Alt-q key behavior since upgrade to Mojave not working

I have a macro assigned to the alt-q key in Keyboard Maestro for years that copies text, removes formatting, wraps it and places a "> " in front of each line. I use this constantly to quote sections of a mail message I respond to. I've always assigned the macro to the "alt-q" character combination.

I recently upgraded to Mojave (OS 10.14.6) and, for some reason, the alt-q is not assigned to the macro and only prints the œ character, I checked to make sure my keyboard is not masking this key combination. I am using a standard Apple keyboard and it has not changed. I tried re-assigning the macro to a different key combination and it still doesn't seem to work. The normal paste key "command-v" does execute the macro without my assigning it to it - for some reason. Has anyone else experienced a keyboard mapping issue like this in Mojave? Thank you for any insight anyone might have...I'm a bit of a loss as to what to try to correct it!

Shawn

If you just upgraded to Mojave, then chances are the Mojave accessibility bug is affecting you. Resolve it as described at: Accessibility Permission Problem.

Failing that, use the interactive help (Help ➤ Interactive Help), and select Something expected is not happening and follow the instructions.

Hi Peter,

Thank you, once again, for your help resolving my (and so many others) issue ! I read your series of suggestions concerning the Accessibility Permission Problem as I was debugging my issue and carefully proceeded through each step. I was puzzled by the fact that after the entire process, my macro was still simply typing the alt-q character in lieu of executing the macro. Another few debugging sessions finally resolved my problem - and I am to blame! Apparently, during the process of changing the character sequence to enable the macro, I had accidentally typed an "alt-q" at the end of the series of macro steps. Hence, whenever I ran the macro, it executed and then replaced the clipboard it was supposed to paste with the "alt-q" character. Please know that after correcting the macro by removing the added step, it is now working as expected in Mojave. I may have experienced the accessibility issue initially, but I managed somehow to corrupt my macro after that did not notice.

Thank you, again. My apologies for wasting your time!
Shawn

1 Like