Anyone else here aggravated by DevonThink? ... KM +++ instead?

You could certainly do this in KM, without the dragging part.

I could see a “wizard” type of thing, where it asks you to pick the source folder, then the destination folder, then what to do with conflicts…

I wouldn’t even know where to start with something like that but I’ll see what I can find on the forum already with folders and conflicts.

I would build a macro around rsync. Rsync is an extremely configurable (and very reliable) command line program for copying/moving/syncing files and folders.

1 Like

I didn't realize it still duplicates the files and puts it in its own location based on your database.

The contents of your libraries are stored in library folders. The files are visible in the Finder, and you can view and edit them via other applications. However, the files are managed by EagleFiler, so you should only move, rename, or delete them from within EagleFiler."

I'll have to give this some more thought, it makes sense that it needs to do that and that you couldn't just move and edit in the Finder. It might be more headache then it solves but still looks pretty promising. It would be nice if the developer had some short little videos. Very nice it is AppleScriptable too.

Thanks, I'll look into that, seems like I did something with Rsync a while back now that you mention it but it was more of a process then I was looking for instead of just drag and drop. I have thousands of files that I want to organize and not have to worry about nested folders being deleted and want to move quickly with drag and drop organization.

If you change (edit) files “behind the back” of EF just hit the Rescan button afterwards, to make sure the index and the checksums are up to date. If you edit them by double-clicking them in the EF UI, it will auto-update the library.

Adding files: It depends how you add them. If you drag them into the UI they are auto-scanned immediately. If you add a file by adding them to the Files folder in the Finder, they will be scanned when EF opens the library (or when you hit manually the Rescan button), I think.

Besides that, there is also an Import folder… but, heck, I have to re-read the manual for that :roll_eyes:

So, do it like me, and have a look at the sections “Scan for New Files” and “Importing Existing Files” of the manual :wink:

There are also quite some options to adjust the importing/auto-scan behavior.

Oh good much better than it sounded like from the manual.

I played with DT for a year+ and used it as a Finder replacement which was specifically not recommended. When the DT db finally crashed and I spent about a year recreating a files and folders structure I has a new appreciation for the advise not to use it as a Finder replacement.

An upside was an opportunity to revise my thinking about what was really important enough to restore and maintain.

I’ve resorted to using VERY simple mostly Apple built-in functions and apps.

I use TextEdit for almost all my notes. A simple item on a global palette opens a new note, puts the date and time on the first line and positions the cursor a couple of lines down.

PopClip with the available extensions gives me all the quick formatting I require.

I popped for the $10/mo of iCloud storage and store all files there making syncing between devices easy.

Saving stuff from the web is either as a webarchive right to a folder or select and evoke PopClip to save as TextEdit note.

I drag (via KM) every email to folder and don’t have a Mail filing system which simplifies things.

I read a lot within IOS and use the free “Mail to Self” extension to collect everything into Mail’s inbox which then gets dragged to a Finder folder.

Hazel moves everything out of the downloads folder and onto the desktop which I keep clean. This eliminates one more place to look and manage.

I recently been playing with finder tags for noting items that I’m working on that I want at hand or does a basic sorting of finances like income source, income type and who’s finances are they?

Keeping Mail empty and organizing everything and one to communicate to me via Mail has greatly simplified things.

This covers 95% of my needs which may be much less than yours.

3 Likes