Applescripts & Shell Scripts won't execute

All of my applescripts & shell scripts are not working.
Scripts will not execute at all either by hotkey or by “try” in Keyboard Maestro.
Any advice?

Latest version of Keyboard Maestro
OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

Hey Chad,

It would help if you explained your problem in more detail.

What kind of scripts? Text scripts? OR Script files?

Did you have macros that previously worked and have just now failed? OR is this on first use?

Are those the only macros that are failing or are others failing as well?

Have you changed anything on your system that might have caused this? OR was it just a spontaneous failure?

Hm. The Keyboard Maestro wiki is down right now. There are some troubleshooting steps on there, but until it goes back up…

Try quitting and restarting the Keyboard Maestro Engine. If that doesn’t help then reboot your system.

If that doesn’t help then make as complete a trouble report as you can to:

Peter Lewis <support@stairways.com>

-Chris

Text scripts.
Everything else seems to be working fine.
Just quit working one day.
Nothing changed that I can think of.
I had already tried restarting the Keyboard Maestro Engine and rebooting the computer.
Doesn’t help.

Hey Chad,

What happens if you run this macro?

-Chris

Generic-Test 01.kmmacros (1.6 KB)

The likely cause of all shell and AppleScripts failing is if you have one or more very large variable values. Open your Keyboard Maestro Preferences, and scan through your variables and see if any are very large (eg they contain the contents of a big PDF or Image file or the like).

The problem is that the system has limits on the size of the environment variables, and since Keyboard Maestro puts all the Keyboard Maestro variables into the environment before launching an AppleScript/Shell script, if those variable values are large enough, it can stop the scripts from being able to be executed.

1 Like

That was it. Thanks for the help!