Backup iCloud files to iMac for a novice

I want to keep files that are regularly kept on iCloud backup on my computer (iMac). Are there any problems in doing this? I am forever a total novice, but I can operate KM. I am just asking if this is a reasonable task for a novice who can do no programming.

Ultimately I need a folder of Markdown files that are kept on iCloud to be frequently backed up on my iMac so that I can index those files in Devonthink 3.

I think these are the instructions that I should follow: Move Items from a Source Folder to a Designated Target Folder
Is that correct?

Hi @Ellenm

Backups are so important that I think it is always better to use dedicated software to manage them rather than try to write a program yourself. I have used Chronosync for years both for work and for home backups. It can do everything you need including running very specific backups at certain regular intervals. It has a smart backup feature which means only changed files are recopied as well as lots of other features that make it reliable and safe to use. I'm sure there are other backup Apps for the Mac too that others can recommend.

Of course, both iCloud and Dropbox are a kind of backup as they store your files in more than one place. But always good to have other backups too.

I use the Keyboard Maestro macro Mirror Mirror Macro -- a Backup Utility for World Backup Day several times a day on two machines to back up various projects on my network. And my hands never leave the keyboard.

Hey @Ellenm,

No. You would want to copy not move.

You also want to only copy items that are new, or so I think.

Are you keeping an entire copy of the folder local on your system?

How are you indexing them in DEVONthink 3?

Are you indexing them in situ, or are you importing them into DT's database?

I haven't used @mrpasini's macro, but rsync is a mature and very well tested command line backup and mirroring tool.

I have several utilities for backing up and/or mirroring files, so I would probably use one of them instead of a home grown solution.

Although I might use Keyboard Maestro to launch the process periodically.

What I would do depends upon the urgency of the task and how bombproof it needed to be.

-Chris