Beach Ball on KM Editor Interaction?

@peternlewis thanks very much for the guidance.

I found several apps in the plist referenced from my Time Machine volume. They each follow the BundleIdentifier key, in the string immediate after the NewFile key.

Here is a snippet:

<key>Modifiers</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Name</key>
		<string>Causality</string>
		<key>PaletteUnderMouse</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Targeting</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Targeting</key>
			<string>Included</string>
			<key>TargetingApps</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>BundleIdentifier</key>
					<string>com.hollywoodcamerawork.causality</string>
					<key>Name</key>
					<string>Causality</string>
					<key>NewFile</key>
					<string>/Volumes/TimeMachineHD/Backups.backupdb/DailyDriver/2018-09-24-005615/Macintosh HD/Applications/Causality.app</string>
				</dict>
			</array>

Should I delete these apps from KM and reinstall them?

Thanks.

Yes. that is generally not good.

You should find the relevant macros and and reselect the target applications by selecting another application and then re-selecting the correct one. There may be two entries after you select the other application, so that may be a little tricky. You can use the Other… selection in the menu to explicitly select the one in your Applications folder.

You could probably also simply disconnect your Time Machine volume, and then quit and relaunch Keyboard Maestro. Since the application will then not be found, it will look for it elsewhere. Usually the system will then provide the correct application and Keyboard Maestro will update its location. Make any change to your macros (even just disclose/undisclose an action) to force a save.

This sort of thing happens when the application is not available in the original location (usually only if the application is deleted, renamed, moved, or you sync between Macs with different application sets or locations).

All that makes sense. I'll get on it. Thanks.

Sorry I know this is not going to be very helpful is trying to fix the problem, but I also experienced a similar issue. Not quite every interaction, but very frequent (certainly happening multiple times when trying to create or edit a similar macro) the app would just freeze, beachball.... then back again.

This was on my trusty old 2012 MacBook Pro, I thought it might of been as I was on Mojave (as I hate updating the OS for the sake of it, case in point: notifications in Monterey are horrible to look at and to use). But I was forced to update to Catalina (the latest my hardware would support) but the beachball was still there.

I then thought it might have been KM and would be fixed in a new version, updated from 9 to 10 when it came out but it didn't fix it.

It is one of those things that whilst annoying it was not stopping me using it. Most of the time I am using macros not editing them, so didn't want to deep dive into why it was doing it.

Anyhoo, last week I replaced the MBP with an M1 mini, imported all my macros and it has not been a problem. Curiously I was inspired to go have a look at KM in my 2012 Intel mini that runs as my media server in the living room. Macros are synced to my main KM, it is running Catalina and there is no beachball.

Maybe try backing up all your macros (exporting) then reinstalling KM, then reimporting them again. It is worth a try and you wouldn't lose anything.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, @digisam . I will try that if Peter's suggestion doesn't work.

The problem disappeared at the next MacOS update.