Can someone explain how the coordinates work for searching in a specified area?

Hey everyone, sorry for the dumb question. I've searched all over the forum and documentation, and I just cannot seem to wrap my head around how the coordinates work for searching in a specified area.

Here's how I'm thinking of it currently:

These coordinates (I would think) are specifying the starting position of where to search.
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 3.43.00 PM

Then I would think these values are saying how many pixels tall and wide it has to search within from that starting position.
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 3.44.30 PM

With how I feel I understand it, this never results in finding the image.
I feel like I'm missing something extremely basic, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the correct coordinates for this tool. I'd appreciate it if someone had an easy way to explain this.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 3.45.08 PM

See my explanation as starter

WindowDual: Move and Resize windows with one or two screens

right arrow is offset from left
down arrow is offset from top
nex two are width and height of area

Hmm, the way you explained it seems to be exactly how I thought about it. But for some reason it still doesn't function as I would think. Here is a video I made going over how I think the tool works and how it isn't doing what I think it would do. Maybe this would spot something obvious that I'm doing wrong.

There's plenty of help here but this is a picture that'll make things clearer.

3 Likes

See, that's so bizarre. That's exactly how I think the tool works, but when I use it that way, it doesn't seem to work. Here is a screenshot illustrating another example. My screen size is 3440x1440. The mouse display tool is showing the coordinates of exactly the center of the folder on screen. So in the left offset and top offset boxes, I've put in those coordinates. So now, that should be saying the starting position is dead center on the folder, correct?

Then the width and height is set to 500x500. So now it should be able to search within a 500x500 box of the folder. But KM still doesn't find the folder when I run this macro...

Sorry for making this so difficult. I just can't grasp why my understanding of the tool seems to be correct, but it isn't working.

No - you’re putting in the wrong values! The 500 and 500 you’re using are ok but the left and top offsets are both 250 too big: they should give the position of the top left corner of your search area, not it’s centre point. Just look at my picture and compare with yours. The measurements you’ve chosen do not correspond with what I put in my picture.

1 Like

Ahhhhhh. I understand now. It wasn't clear to me that the starting point of the search area is the top left...I believe I understand now. Sheesh, sorry that took me so long to get up to speed. Appreciate your help and patience.

1 Like

No problem @ChrisOlsonFilms - we’re all on a learning curve!

Well spotted !!