Cancel a Specific Macro Action

Hello All,

Can someone please explain how to use the Cancel a Specific Macro Action?

After reading the wiki section on the %ExecutingInstance% section (https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/token/ExecutingInstance), I'm guessing I'm overthinking what information or Format to place in the Instance area. I've tried the macro name, the UUID, etc. I'm stuck.

My simple macro is:

When Mail Quits
Cancel This Specific Macro - (called Mail Check)

I'm fine with being embarrassed that I couldn't figure it out. I'll take the L on this one. I just can't figure out what to put in that instance section.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Kenneth

You can't cancel Actions -- only Macros.

If you want to cancel your macro after a specific Action completes, then just insert the Cancel this Macro action.

JMichael,

Hmm... I didn't ask about canceling the action. I'm asking about the usage of the new Cancel a Specific Macro Action (see above Screen shot) that was introduced in v9.0.

It's located here:

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/actions/Redirect_Control_Flow?s[]=cancel&s[]=specific&s[]=macro

My issue is specifically this new area --

• Cancel a Specific Macro (v9.0+) — Cancels a specific macro instance (from the %ExecutingInstance% or %ExecutingInstances% tokens). I simply don't understand what to place in the Instance area.

I can't use the Cancel This Macro action for another action that is running.

So -- if I can't the new Cancel a Specific Macro Action for the purpose of cancelling another Macro, can you explain what this action does?

Thanks,
KC

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

The use of this Action is also unclear to me. We will have to wait for @peternlewis to enlighten us.

You can get an opaque string representing the executing instance of a specific macro instance - that is, each time a macro starts executing, that is a new instance (which also corresponds to a new set of Instance Variables) - by using the ExecutingInstance token.

If you squirrel that away somewhere, then another macro can use it to interact with that specific instance. In particular it can use the Cancel a Specific Macro action to cancel it.

For example:

Global Macro Group Macros.kmmacros (3.0 KB)

3 Likes

Thanx.
Now i understand.
:slight_smile:

Peter,

Thank You, Thank You! :slight_smile:

I was so close, yet so far. Bookmarked for future reference.

Take care,
Kenneth