Cannot Use Screen Capture

It still works when I select an area in the Screen Capture action. But it won't work when I select any other options (e.g. "the front window"). Weird.

Also, it only selects my desktop screen (instead of, say, a Chrome window).

Doesn't work how? Doesn't run, runs but doesn't copy anything, something else? Keep the "beep" and the Display Text actions in there so you know whether the macro has run and the result of the screen copy action.

What Group is it in, and what are the Group settings? How does it behave with Finder windows, can you copy "main screen", try using a Named Clipboard instead of the System Clipboard in case there's a problem there (or another macro/utility interacting with the clipboard).

This, like your "hot key not working" issue, is going to be peculiar to your system and your settings so you'll have to dig around a bit.

Thanks for asking.

1. It runs but doesn't copy anything. The beep sounds, and the Display Text says "OK".

2. It is in the Global Macro group. Available for all applications, windows, and always activated.

3. No other Named clipboards work, either.

4. I cannot copy "Main Screen" or any other options. The only one that works is the "Area".

5. I disabled all other Macros and tried just this one. Same result.

Go into System Preferences/Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Screen Recording and toggle both Keyboard Maestro's and Keyboard Maestro Engine's setting off and on again.

Two things:

1. The "Engine" isn't there. Just Keyboard Maestro.
  2. After I turned the Keyboard Maestro setting off and then on, it worked... once. And then it stopped working again. (I then toggled it again and it worked once again.) So not quite... but it's good to see progress!

P.S. It is working fine now on the Main Screen. But it still only works once on the Front Window.

1 Like

Add it. Click the "+" button, hit ⌘⇧G, paste in "/Applications/Keyboard Maestro/Contents/MacOS" (without the quotes) and hit the Return key. Select Keyboard Maestro Engine and click "OK".

1 Like

YESSSS! You solved it! That is fantastic, thank you!

Hi, thanks again for your help. The macro worked for a bit but now it's not working.

Interestingly, your action now shows the following error:

Screen Capture failed to capture screen with error failed to capture front window

Do you have any suggestions?

If it helps, here's what I've tried:

Toggling both KM and KM Engine off and on in System Preferences > Privacy > Screen Recording
Toggling both KM and KM Engine off and on in System Preferences > Privacy > Accessibility
Using the action on "All screens" and "Main screens" and it works.

For the life of me I can't understand why just the front window isn't working (and that's the only one I need!).

Quit and relaunch the Keyboard Maestro Engine -- you can do that from the "File" menu of Keyboard Maestro.

That did it! (Again!). Nige, you are my hero. Thank you again for all your help!

If this goes wrong again and you haven't been playing with Privacy & Security settings, think about resetting (or even nuking) your tcc database (which is where your privacy/security settings are stored). You have to through all your apps etc, re-granting permissions, but that's probably less of a pain than having these problems on a regular basis.

How you do that will depend on your OS version, but Eclectic Light has a good summary of tcc fixing, complete with links.

Thanks again. I'll look into that. In the meantime, the macro works fine for all applications except Chrome and Brave. (It works for Safari.) Do you have any suggestions for this?

Sorry to keep bugging you!