Capture a File Path

Yes, that is what I meant and yes, I just took that earlier suggestion. Now, everything works. Thanks

No, I was just answering the question about how to get the "Copy as Pathname" menu item to appear.

Yes, sorry, I thought his initial question was how get the path with escaped spaces :wink:

1 Like

OIC, Thanks. I use a Microsoft (non apple) split keyboard. I also had a hacktosh for years so I still get a little confused when I say option, command, etc. Thanks for pointing this out. I forgot that Apple does have added levels on menus with the right key presses.

Funny - I almost typed “Alt” instead of “Option”, since I came originally from the MS world. :slight_smile:

I know. My mind sees three modifier keys and remembers the pattern of order. The left one, the right one, the middle one - which is useful when I do work on a Windows system as I just mirror them (in my mind) or flip em over.

Yep. I have an Apple keyboard I use with Windows, so I do the same thing, in reverse. :slight_smile:

This is Dan's example. I took out the window to check the results as I wanted the result on the clipboard and I used search and replace to find spaces and replace with backslash spaces.

Man there seems to be so many places that option is tucked away, Apple seems to be doing that more and more with things. How long has that been hiding there, right click and then option that is tricky. All the screen resolutions that were hidden in Lion that show back up with option clicking and option clicking in Preview with the file types gives you so many more options etc.

Copy Path (key command).skillet.kmmacros (26.3 KB)

Other options and comments that might be useful can be found here.

1 Like

The strange thing about that is that the option and right click file path does not escape the non posix characters (spaces). I have one that works in my services menu that, after greatly reducing the clutter in my services men, now is on that first menu and so is easy to see.

I don’t remember when or where I got the script. It seems to be an old Automator script. But clicking on that script does produce a clickable file path.

If you are speaking of the system’s Copy as Pathname in the Context Menu, I think they made it like this on purpose. You don’t always want a path with escaped spaces.

What about your KM macro? Doesn’t it work?

Yes. I was just chasing down all we discussed. You are right that sometimes you just want the pure path. I was just commenting in case anyone had followed this discussion and thought that the option right click would produce what I had originally asked about, getting to a clickable link.

KM is really a great app, one I can't imagine ever going without. A hearty "good pn ya mate" to the developer.

Great Tip Dan!
I didn't know that.

I have a great tool (but I don't remember the name) that gives me several options for copying the path. Anyone know how to easily figure out which tool is doing this?

In this case "Copy URL" returned this:

file:///Users/Shared/Dropbox/SW/DEV/KM/HTML/How%20To%20Install%20KM%20Macro%20to%20Display%20Calendar%20etc.txt

As you can see, it is already encoded.

You're kidding! I actually knew something about Macs you didn't? I can die happy now. :smile: :wink:

2 Likes

I think it’s called FilePathCM, but I can’t find an official site for it.

You know me Dan, I'd do anything to make sure you die happy. :sunglasses: LOL

The joy of owning and using a Mac -- it is already so much better/easier to use on day 1, and then you get to keep finding cool stuff for years to come.

1 Like

I liked this group of tips. I learned a thing or two. I especially liked learning about using “caffeinate” to stop sleeping cycles while doing updates, etc.

Mystery solved! It is TotalFinder

I really like TotalFinder, but it is not fully compatible with El Capitan. To use on El Cap, you have to partially disable SIP, the new security feature for El Cap. After I did my research, I'm very comfortable with partially disabling SIP, but you should do your own research, and make your decision independent of mine.

EDIT 2016-09-07 19:13 CT (Wed)

TotalFinder has a new developer who plans to make it compatible with SIP. See TotalFinder Blog for details.

1 Like

A great caffeinate-like app for the menu bar: Amphetamine.

And Free on the app store. Can't beat that, thanks.