Changing macOS Cmd M to Cmd Shift M

One of the shortcuts I hate the most on macOS is Command M, which minimizes stuff.

The M key is too close to the N key and I use Cmd N a lot to create new files.

The problem is that I type with my 10 fingers and I don't look at the keyboard when I type and sometimes I type Cmd M when I wanted to type Cmd N.

I want to change the minimize to something like Option M or whatever and if possible map Cmd M to Cmd N, so, it is a win-win situation.

Is that possible with KM?

1 Like

You can change that in the Settings keyboard and Shortcuts of the Mac itself

As far as I can tell, the vast majority of macOS shortcut keys are not modifiable using the System Preferences app. Can you show a screenshot from the System Preferences app that allows this particular key to be modified? I can't find it.

Ok, create a macro that triggers the command shift M, set it to type a keystroke command and M, problem solved.

AND create a macro triggered by the ⌘M hotkey that does nothing...

Guess it is reserved for Mac and can’t be change hmmm

It does still seem able to bypass Keyboard Maestro. Intercepting Cmd-M works using the software BetterTouchTool. I use it to make Cmd-M trigger "Zoom window under cursor".

The reason why is here:

1 Like

Yes, I did recall that and I think in general when talking of BTT here it tends to be in terms of it being something quite different from KM, in philosophy and in practice! It can be a useful complementary piece of software.

Sometimes – for me, at least – the wrong window is zoomed by BTT but I find that far less annoying than the window being squirrelled away if I accidentally hit Cmd-M!