Clipboard issue KM9

I think I wrote about this issue in my own post.

I have a Macro setup to paste plain text. it works in all apps except Pages.

I copy rich text using ⌘C

Paste ⌘^V but nothing happens when using Pages, why?

It looks to me like Peter identified this issue, about 4 posts higher in this thread, and said an update would be coming soon.

This works fine for me with a number copied in Notes with the clipboard issue corrected:

Have you tried the OP’s macro?

According to your screenshot you didn’t copy via KM.

Yes, I added

• Activate Notes
  • Pause for 1.5 Seconds

To the front of the macro and ran it and it worked fine.

I added your two actions to the front and still get the error in Notes (running the macro with a hotkey on a selected number). From the log:

2019-08-20 11:14:00 Set Variable to Calculation failed to evaluate clipboard_quantity+1 Macro “InDesign | Wstaw plakat poziomy A1 [+Activate+Pause]” cancelled (while executing Set Variable “clipboard_quantity” To Calculation “clipboard_quantity+1”).

And…

defaults read com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine ExtraIgnoredClipboardFlavors

returns this:

dyn.ah62d4rv4gk81n65yru|dyn.ah62d4rv4gu8y4znmkfwgk6xfsr3za2pxsvw0e55bsmwfk8puqy

Engine relaunched a couple of times.

The OP’s macro with the two added actions: InDesign | Wstaw plakat poziomy A1 [ Activate Pause].kmmacros (3.9 KB)

Works fine for me, but maybe there is another flavor in your text that is erroring when copied.

⌘^V doesn’t paste in Pages for me. I have to use ⌘V (without Control).

But your issue seems to be a different one anyway, because the OP’s macro does work in Pages (at least for me), and does not work in Notes and the Adobe apps.

Now it happened that I could manually copy (⌘C) a number in Notes, run the macro and then it “works” – if the copied number is the same as the selected one. If I run the macro on a different number, the manually copied number gets increased and pasted.

At the moment I can’t reproduce the mentioned error, not even when there is a non-numerical string on the on the clipboard. (Similar as 4 days ago.)

This is my clipboard after running the macro:

This is my clipboard after manually copying in Notes:

Edit/PS:

After having deleted ExtraIgnoredClipboardFlavors and then reapplied your value the error is back again.

Seems to work fine now in Notes with KM 9.0.1. (Didn’t test it with the Adobe apps.)

1 Like

I can confirm KM 9.0.1 does resolve a problem copying to the clipboard in InDesign CC 2019.

2 Likes

This issue still persists with update 9.1, My plain text macro does not function properly in Pages but it does in word!

Which is your macro?

(I was referring to the macro of this topic. It was working fine with Pages and others already with KM 9.0.0, but had problems with Notes and the Adobe apps.)

Here is video showing that it does not work

And here is my macro

it works fine in Word but not in Pages.

The plain text picks up whatever format you are pasting it in to. As shown in the video, you are pasting it in to a location that has bold and underscores, and so the plain text picks that up.

Instead, do something like this:

bold text - underlined text - italic text

Copy any part of it. Then use your macro to paste anywhere in the line. In the bold section, it will pick up bold, in the underlined section it will pick up underscores, in the italic, it will pick up the italic state.

Plain text is not the same as styled text that has no format (for that, you could potentially use the Apply Style to Clipboard action). Plain text has no formatting. No font, no style, no plain/underlined/bold, no size, nothing. It is not the same as formatted text that happens to not be bold or underlined. So when you paste it in it will pick up the font, size, bold, italic, whatever of the text you are pasting it in to.

I believe all the things you are saying.

My only question is then, why does the macro function properly in MS Word (function as I intended it to)? The issue only happens in Pages.

I think the behavior of “Plain text pasting” as explained by @peternlewis is in no way exclusive or specific to KM.

You get the same behavior when using the Plain Text Paste in Pages. (It is called “Paste and Match Style” there):

10-pty-fs8

The wording is better adapted for non-computer folks, but the meaning is exactly the same as with the more traditional wording “Paste as plain text”. (See Peter’s explanation above.)

Similar in many other apps.

I’ve also seen this menu item in MS-Word, but it’s tedious to compare the behavior of MS-Word to any other (Mac-like) app. They (the devs of Word for Mac) love to use particular frameworks, follow their own rules and terminology, and UI behavior.

And, IIRC, they seem to use also their particular clipboard mechanics, different from the macOS clipboard.

In one word: When it comes to the clipboard, MS-Word (and probably other Office apps) is not really like the others.

Are you copying a whole line in Word? I know Word does some things with character styles and some things with paragraph styles. But I don't use Word, so I don't know what it does. Maybe it considers plain text to be explicitly styled as the default body text.