Control-click to move to selected folder

Newbie here. Sorry if this was previously discussed, but I could not find any reference.

I would like to create a macro initiated by control-clicking on a file. I would like to be presented with a list of predetermined destination folders, and the file is then moved to the selected destination folder.

I can make a move file macro. What I am asking here is for a popup list of destinations when the macro is triggered, and for the trigger to be evoked by a control-click.

Is this possible?

Just out of interest, this is fairly generic, do you follow any rules (like Hazel) that says if this file name is in this directory then move file to that directory

Sorry, no, that is not what I am seeking. I am really trying to duplicate some of the features of the no-longer supported FolderGlance App. I have used macros from this forum to implement it with a Hotkey, put would like to be able to utilize control-click.

This is unlikely to work well.

The only trigger that would be available would be the USB Device Key trigger, but that will not affect the behaviour of the button press, which means the control click on the file will display the contextual menu.

As @peternlewis mentioned, CTRL-click is NOT a viable Macro trigger.
I'd suggest that you just do a normal click on the file, and then trigger this macro by Hot Key, Status Menu, or Trigger by Name.

Other than that, a simple Macro should get the job done for you.

Perhaps something like this:

Below is just an example written in response to your request. You will need to use as an example and/or change to meet your workflow automation needs.

Please let us know if it meets your needs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MACRO:   Move Selected File to User Selected Folder [Example]

-~~~ VER: 1.0    2020-05-21 ~~~
Requires: KM 8.2.4+   macOS 10.11 (El Capitan)+
(Macro was written & tested using KM 9.0+ on macOS 10.14.5 (Mojave))

DOWNLOAD Macro File:

Move Selected File to User Selected Folder [Example].kmmacros
Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.

ReleaseNotes

Author.@JMichaelTX

PURPOSE:

• Move Selected File to User Selected Folder

NOTICE: This macro/script is just an Example

• It is provided only for educational purposes, and may not be suitable for any specific purpose.
  • It has had very limited testing.
  • You need to test further before using in a production environment.
  • It does not have extensive error checking/handling.
  • It may not be complete. It is provided as an example to show you one approach to solving a problem.

REQUIRES:

1. KM 8.0.2+
  • But it can be written in KM 7.3.1+
  • It is KM8 specific just because some of the Actions have changed to make things simpler, but equivalent Actions are available in KM 7.3.1.
  1. macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
  • KM 8 Requires Yosemite or later, so this macro will probably run on Yosemite, but I make no guarantees. :wink:

MACRO SETUP

• Carefully review the Release Notes and the Macro Actions
    • Make sure you understand what the Macro will do.
    • You are responsible for running the Macro, not me. :wink:
  • Assign a Trigger to this maro.
  • Move this macro to a Macro Group that is only Active when you need this Macro.
  • ENABLE this Macro.
  • REVIEW/CHANGE THE FOLLOWING MACRO ACTIONS:
    • ALL Actions that are shown in the magenta color

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

• While I have given this limited testing, and to the best of my knowledge it will do no harm, I cannot guarantee it.
  • If you have any doubts or questions:
    • Ask first
    • Turn on the KM Debugger from the KM Status Menu, and step through the macro, making sure you understand what it is doing with each Action.

1 Like

Thank you for your assistance. I have created a macro to move files to selected folder alias' in a target folder. But alas, control-click is not an option.

Seems like a click, then CTRL-M is just as fast.