Copy from Excel Field to Avid Media Composer Bin

I'd like to figure out how to copy a line from an excel field and copy it into an Avid bin description. I'd like it to do this for a list. How would I go about it? Any feedback would be welcome.

@Eddie_Pons -

Thanks for your post.
I use a different spreadsheet, but a cell is a cell, so maybe I can offer some suggestions.

What have you tried so far?
What problems have you had with that?

If you don’t know how to post your macros here, no problem.
Just take a screen capture and upload that with your reply.

See

Thanks, I’d post the macro, but there is nothing worth posting. I’m new to KM, so i’ve only written a few so far. I’ve tried doing it with the windows in fixed positions, but it’s not realistic that they will always pop up in the same place, as I’m moving around and using different monitors often. Also, repeating the task down the list is beyond me. Could I possible start by asking KM to search for a text string that matches as a starting opint? Any starting point/template would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

MS Excel is well supported by AppleScript, and by MS Excel VBA.
It should be very straight-forward to select a list of cells in Excel, and either copy to the clipboard or assign to an AppleScript variable.

AppleScript is the primary tool for Mac inter-app communication/integration. But I don't know if Avid supports AppleScript. IF it does, then the workflow/script should be straight-forward. IF not, then KM can be a great help by manipulating the Avid UI.

So, to get started, do some research:

• Search on "AppleScript excel"
  • Search on "AppleScript avid"
    • is it supported?
    • if so, try to find related scripts
    • IF NOT, then look at the KM "For Each Action"
    • Before I go further, find out if Avid supports AppleScript
      • You can open Script Editor, then open Scripting Dictionaries (File > Open > Dictionary), and look for Avid

@Eddie_Pons -

Happy to help a new-comer.
And, yes, we can build from the ground up.

An easy way start is to write down, step-by-step, how you do this process now (without using Keyboard Maestro).

Here’s an example (my guess):

1. Go to Excel cell C2 by mouse click.
  2. Copy that cell by Command-C.
  3. Click on Avid window to make it the active window.
  4. Click on the name row in Avid window.
  5. Paste by Command-V.

Something like that.

When you’ve written down every detail, please post it here.
Let’s see if we can come up with something easy and useful.

And, almost sure, we’ll find a way to repeat down the task list.

Waiting for your written manual process …

Thanks to you both. Super helpful.

I’ve attached a macro that works for one instance, but then I can’t get it to move down the page on Avid.
It’s also not ideal because it relies on the mouse being in a certain location when it goes to Avid the
first time.

Mark, your flow list pretty much covers what I’d like to do. RIght now, I’m stuck because I don’t know how to get to a specifics spot within Avid’s windows. I’ve tried going to the menus under “windows”, but the only option for selecting the bin was to select the one I was already working on. Then, there is no easy way to select the next row in a column, and matters are complicated by Avid’s insistence on moving the cursor out of the selection when you switch applications, so you are starting from square one again. I have to re-select the cell it was already in the right place to paste the next item.

If i can figure out how to indicated specific locations within Avid, it will be easier. No one has posted a solution as far as I can tell. Phew. That’s a mouthful. Anyway, there you have it. Thanks again for your feedback. Copy of Macro to follow.

Copy from Excel to Avid MC.kmmacros (8.7 KB)

If you will do the search I suggested, "AppleScript avid", you will find lots of hits.
It may take some digging, but you may find ways to achieve your objectives.

In particular, there is this:

Automation AppleScripts for Pro Tools (Mac) - Avid Pro Audio Community

If you don't find posts there that meet you needs, or you need more help, posting the forum focused on Avid and AppleScript is more likely to get an experienced reply.

Cool. Those are scripts for Avid Pro Tools, not Media Composer, but yes, I’m going to do some research in more depth at the forums. Much appreciated.

1 Like

1.) You wrote "bin description".
On the Avid screen in your first post is that "name," or "keywords," or something else?

2.) I don't know Avid:
How do you select a field for editing?
One click?
Enter?

3.) When you start to run this macro have you already selected the row in Avid where you want to paste?
Or do you expect the macro to search and find the row?

4.) In the macro you posted, in this action:

Have you considered using "relative to found image" instead of "relative to main screen corner?

My questions above skim the surface quickly, so if anything not clear, please ask me for more details.

1.    It’s keywords.

2.   You select a field by clicking in the box. (You have to do this every time you return to the app.)

3.   It will have to search and find the row, as it reverts to being ‘cursorless’ when you switch app.

4.   I will try it!  I wasn’t sure what was considered a “found image.”  That could help.

Thank you.

KM can store cursor position in a variable.
So, every time you return to Avid, KM could click in the same position as when you left Avid.

Or, for a repeating sequence, KM could click, say 15 pixels, below the previous position to move the cursor down by one row for each repeat.

Good question.
Neither was I, at first.
Found image is anything you can select as a screen print using Command+Shift+4

Takes some "playing around" to adjust "fuzziness" in the KM action.
In KM action Move and Click at found image, it is helpful to use the "Go" button and "Display" checkbox [ x ] to see and verify cursor position.

After you've "dialed in" the cursor position, un-check "Display".

There are helpful posts in this forum about "found image".
That's how I learned.

If more questions, you are welcome to ask.
This is an interesting problem.

I was able to make it work!. I only used the “found image” for one step. It
kept on switching to a different setting by itself after successfully doing
the task.

Now it’s just a matter of trying to reproduce with a different set of docs.

This saves me a lot of time, as it completes the task in 15 secs.

e.

1 Like

Hi Eddie,

I’m looking to do this exact thing and your post came up in my search.

I’m brand new to this program, do you still have this macro that you could share? I’m about to attempt to make my first macro now just in case you never see this message being that your post was over 6 years ago.

Thanks,
Colleen