Copy-paste macro does not work as usual

I’m sure you’ve been back and forth over this a dozen times, but it seems to me that when I last used Fusion (many years ago), there were a couple of preference settings that might be relevant here — “clipboard sharing with the host system” type settings.

And/or, does your client use Unity? and do your other clients? That might be relevant, too.

Also, I’ve heard that re-installing VMWare Tools on the virtual machine can help with problems like this.

1 Like

Erik, thanks.

1. Clipboard is being shared. Unchecking and rechecking the setting does not resolve the issue.
  2. No Unity in use anywhere, VMs run in a window, not full screen (Unity does not work for the kind of thing I’m doing in the VM)
  3. Vmware Tools reinstalled, at least once. Vmware also updated to the latest version (currently 8.5.3., the problem was there already with 8.5.2).

Vmware support also contacted, but they say that if copying by hand works, it’s not their problem. I don’t blame them. It’s likely not Keyboard Maestro either. It’s some other bloody thing I’ve overlooked.

Short update: I was not able to isolate the problem.
In Safe Boot VMware Fusion can’t be started. This article does not work.

There are 6 applications running at all times, all of which are essential. Turning them off did not improve things anyway.

Rebuilding the Mac is most likely the best option.

Thanks for your help.

If you are referring to this line…

All kernel extensions are loaded when Fusion is started. Fusion 4.x can be run in Safe Boot normally.

Yes, this may be no longer true for recent macOS versions. However, you can try to load Fusion’s kernel extensions manually with kextload. (Instructions I, instructions II, man page)

1 Like

FYI, the rebuilding of the Mac did the trick (mostly, see below).
The clipboard syncing now works reliably. Whatever caused the error is now gone.

One device key of a USB device stops working from time to time. I’ve show the client how to restart Keyboard Maestro to make it work again.