Default Folder X – Menu Tree Navigable on Launch

I'm hoping somebody with way more chops that I have can tell me how to use KM to open Default Folder X and NOT have to reach for the mouse but be able to R arrow over into the menu-cascade or have the cursor already there. It would save a wee bit of effort, and besides, it is urking me to not be able to figure this out on my own. Any help appeciated.

Hey @fred1st,

You shouldn't have to use Keyboard Maestro for that.

-Chris

1 Like

Those shortcuts from DFX preferences work only within the solid-bar areas ("file dialogue actions" and "Finder components" while what I'm looking for would universally open DFX with the mouse having activated the first folder and ready from the keyboard to drill down into the other folder and subfolders.

I had recommended from an authority on the subject the following AppleScript to plug into KM with a trigger hotkey or typed trigger but it does not work as is, and I imagine my ignorance has me possibly very close to making this work. What's missing?

tell application "Default Folder X"
   activate
   ShowMenu
end tell

Who would that be?

This works fine when run from FastScripts, but Keyboard Maestro runs AppleScript using osascript which causes odd behavior at times and is slower to run.

tell application "Default Folder X"
   activate
   ShowMenu
end tell

Here's a macro that does the job the hard way – I had to fight with it to get it to work reliably on my system.

Open Default Folder DFX Menu at Mouse Position v1.00.kmmacros (8.4 KB)

Now then – if you look at the bottom of Default Folder's Shortcuts preferences you'll see a particular item, which you might want to test:

Give β€œShow Menu” an appropriate keyboard shortcut that's complex enough it won't get in your way.

Then change the Type a Keystroke action in this macro to match your DFX keyboard shortcut.

Give the macro a Hotkey Trigger you like, and go to town.

Both macros let you choose where on your screen you want the menu to show up.

Open Default Folder DFX Menu at Mouse Position v2.00.kmmacros (7.4 KB)

-Chris

Chris, you are too kind, much appreciated. This niggling wee matter has persisted for me, now with a solution. And the world is a better place!

1 Like