Disable URL Trigger confirmation message in browser

Is there any way to disable the confirmation message when I use a URL trigger in Brave browser (chromium based)? See screenshot for the offending message. I'd love to be able to use browser bookmarks to load a dynamic page using a URL trigger but this message slows down the workflow.

You said "when using a URL trigger." Are you asking about this:

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/trigger/URL

Fair question. That screenshot you provided seems to be a browser security feature. Which makes sense. Since I don't have the Brave Browser, I can't tell you how to fix its security settings.

But for Safari I've read that this cannot be disabled. but obviously if you want you can use a KM macro to read the screen and click on the appropriate button. Are you interested in implementing that solution? Since you know when you are triggering the URL, it would only be about one more line of code to fix this problem. One simple Click Mouse action with a 3 second timeout could fix it.

I suspect that Brave's business model will be declared illegal someday so I have no interest in investing my time in a product that's likely going to be declared illegal. I.e., the browser replaces ads from websites with its own ads. Innovative, but possibly illegal. As one opponent wrote, it "should be viewed as illegal and deceptive by the courts, consumers, and those who value the creation of content".

I'm not convinced KM knows when I am triggering the URL. KM doesn't know that I've clicked it until I've accepted the prompt.

I know when I've done it, but I don't want to have to manually activate another macro, that doesn't save me time compared to just having different bookmarks for static sites.

I believe, if you examine the confirmation message closel (in Brave), you'll see a tiny box which, when manually checked, stops the annoying message from displaying again, "for these types of links" (i.e., km). I tend to be a browser and software collector generally. All of the browsers have some form of this message. In my experience, Firefox Developer Edition is the easiest to deal with in that it straight-out simply asks, would you like the browser to restrain itself from future displays of the silly question (Open keyboard maestro engine?) ("I just pasted a 30 character KM identifier because I do not want to open KM ...duh") and if you say "yes," Firefox won't display it. I found Chrome to be the least amenable to my attempts to deep-six the message (surprise, surprise).

1 Like

I assumed you were using a KM macro to send your kmtrigger:... URL to the browser. That's not the case? If that's the case, then KM knows when you are sending it because KM is sending it. If that's not the case, how you are sending the kmtrigger: string to the browser?

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/14194567?hl=en has got me both a bit further, and more frustrated :frowning: Yeah, I thought browsers had that checkbox, and I can see it in Firefox stable, but Chrome and Safari seem to not have it anymore (for understandable if frustrating reasons*)

*chrome devs consider that the lack of any GUI to revert the tickbox means that having the tickbox is dangerous so they've removed it entirely.

Nope, that's not the case. I'm just copying it into the URL bar at the moment but the idea would be to use it as a browser bookmark (which I did actually include in the original post fwiw :slight_smile: )

Oh that's true. hey I'm not perfect. I think I've made two mistakes today alone!

Even so, I think you could still solve this by having KM monitoring the current URL and if the URL contains kmtrigger: it could then look for the button to click on and then click on it. I don't see anything wrong with that solution.

Ok. If we're gonna use this Forum to share war storied :smiley:, lemme tell ya about real frustration (just kidding).

Actually, what I find frustrating is how aggressive browsers can get, when you make them your default. After reading your reply, I figured I'd take another peek at Brave - but when I pasted the UUID for an online newspaper and then, hit return, voila: Firefox Dev Edition (my current default browswer) opened the url. Just like Chrome did before, when it was my default.

Moral of the story: With some browsers (Firefox Dev Edition and Chrome), placing the UUID into the url field simply takes you to your default browser and doesn't serve to open a page in the browser you happen to be using.

Problem solved: I disabled that message in Brave (my version of it, anyway). Your original post complained about the confirmation message that Brave displays. In that dialog box, Brave (Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90) there's a small checkbox that asks, do you want to kill the message. I checked the box and now, Brave doesn't display the confirmation message.

Check it out. The latest copy of Brave - assuming it's your default browser - will go to the url, as a bookmark or otherwise, without displaying the question, do you want to open KM, if you check the disable check box in the message itself. The reason I can't attach a screenshot for you, is because Brave no longer displays the dialog box! Firefox Dev Ed has a similar checkbox.

I uploaded a screenshot of a similar dialog box in Firefox (not the Developer Edition). Brave has a different but similar checkbox in the confirmation message you post above. Once it's checked, the message disappears.

disable_dialog_box|284x254

I wish it was problem solved. I'm using an identical version of Brave, also my default browser, and the checkbox doesn't exist. My confirmation message is as per the top post, sans checkbox.

If I enter steam://store to use the steam URL scheme inside Brave the same thing happens, confirmation message without a checkbox.

It makes me wonder if there is some other privacy setting that Brave is implementing to determine whether or not somebody gets the checkbox....? But I'm mostly wildly speculating at this point...

Unfortunately the tab title remains as "new tab" so I can't see an efficient way to monitor the URL (I don't need this enough to have anything on an inifinite loop checking for changes, beyond what KM has in its own built in triggers which I gather are event based for the most part anyway)

I wish it was problem solved. I'm using an identical version of Brave, also my default browser, and the checkbox doesn't exist. My confirmation message is as per the top post, sans checkbox

wow. I absolutely believe you're being truthful. But...that's hard to fathom. If I gave you a UUID to paste into your Brave url, would you try it? And when the dialog box returns, would you mind taking a screenshot of the entire box with all four edges in the png?

brave://settings/passwords

II'm intrigued. Would you mind going into Brave's 'Preferences' to a section called 'Additional Settings.' In it, there's a subsection 'autofill' and yet another subsection (of autofill): Passwords.

At the top of the 'Passwords section,' there's a setting called 'offer to save passwords' which, on my browser, is selected to 'On.'

How about yours?

Reason I ask: Brave saved my KM Forum user name and password and it explicitly states:

Automatically sign in to websites using stored credentials. If disabled, you will be asked for confirmation every time before signing in to a website.

That must be it!

You said "infinite loop." I didn't say that. For the record, this can be done with a periodic trigger of 1 second which technically is not an infinite loop but is instead, to use your words, "an event-based KM built in trigger." In any case, if you don't want periodic triggers, that's fine.

Vincent, my conclusion: We're both right. I just went into Brave Prefs: Additional settings > Autofill > Passwords - and unchecked 'offer to save passwords' and 'auto sign in' (see attached upload). I then removed my KM password. Then, I killed Brave and re-opened it as my default Browser.

It's now returning the dialog box without the checkbox :thinking:

The UUID I used takes me to a site which requested my email address and password. I tried to sign on but it wouldn't allow me to (odd and frustrating). I believe (but who knows), if I was able to sign in to the site, and Brave was able to save my email address and password, it would have returned a confirmation message with the option to check that little box. I say this because of the statement in settings quoted below.

Automatically sign in to websites using stored credentials. If disabled, you will be asked for confirmation every time before signing in to a website.

upload