Display Text Large - Can the Duration of the Display Be Changed?

The title says it all.

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/manual/Preferences

You can set configure Display Large text display period with:

defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine DisplayLargeTextDisplayPeriod -float 5.0

3 Likes

Great, thank you

Can you change the display period per action? Or will the action respect the pref if changed via shell (defaults write) on the fly? Of must that pref be loaded with the Engine?

On the fly within a macro works just fine, use it frequently...

The Set Action Delay action has support for setting the Large Text Display period now:

9 Likes

hoorah! grazi

Is there a way to make the macro show the large Text Display, and later hide it again?
The purpose is that i want the user know not to touch anything until the macro finishes, and hide the text when macro is done.

No.

You could use a Custom HTML Prompt action for that.

Still trying to figure out your info to Troy... Could you possibly give me brief instruction for using the "defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine DisplayLargeTextDisplayPeriod -float 5.0" comment?
I went to the Preferences link you gave, but I'm sort of blindly looking through it... I'm understanding much of it, but still mystified by the majority. Seriously, If I'm asking for more than I realize.....please disregard.

I just found the answer..... I just needed to delve a bit deeper.....thanks for creating a great tool. learning more every day

I assume you found the Set Action Delay action, which lets you configure this:

1 Like

That was the Key. Set Action Delay! You were on the mark.
I have increased my productivity tremendously with KM and the help from this Forum (and the Mac Sparky Field Guide) ... Just began working with KM in October, I've created macros that let me work faster in PhotoShop, After Effects, and Illustrator....really everything I work with!
Thank you very much.

A custom HTML prompt would be more flexible, but you could do something like this:

Keyboard Maestro Actions.kmactions (1.0 KB)

You could create a sub-macro called from the main macro that could be cancelled when the main macro finished.

-Chris

Thanks, nice idea @ccstone -Chris.
When cancelled it continues for 10 seconds, that is not very elegant.

Maybe set the action time as short as possible, and make an UNTIL loop. That will never stop, but it will when cancelled. Lemme try that....

You can play with the timing.

-Chris

Main Macro:

Main Macro.kmmacros (2.2 KB)

Sub Macro:

Display Large Text.kmmacros (2.1 KB)