Editor log errors

I have a lot of these in my editor.log
The file path that is stated does not exist.
Any clue?

2017-11-27 08:22:17 Assertion Failed: i_displayWhat != NamedClipboardPopupMenuControllerDisplay::kUnknown, file: /Users/peter/Keyboard Maestro/Project/Source/Views/NamedClipboardPopupMenuController.mm:40, value: 0

I have seen these, but I donā€™t know what causes them.

Probably one of the Named Clipboard Popup Menus has an issue in it in one or more of the actions. If you can duplicate it, Iā€™d like to know how.

I may have found a starting point, (FYI, it helped to look at the engine.log and compare to the editor.log, this helped me find the macro that was triggered that caused the errors)

I'll use the example of making clipboard 1
the errors occur when I trigger my 'make clipboard' macro
by first typing Control + keypad 1

• which brings up a conflict palette and then I type keypad 1 (that's when the error happens)
    this will make clipboard 1 to the current system clipboard, and the errors occur.
    It ONLY occurs for the make clipboard macros in that conflict palette, it does NOT occur for the use clipboard or 'display in dialog' macros in that conflict palette.

let me know how I can help further, I'd like to get rid of these....
there are times that KM seems to freeze up on me, albeit for a short (3-4) seconds of time, it is pretty bothersome, now, this may or may not be the cause, but I'd like to not have the errors 'under the hood'
Greatly appreciate your help.

I looked deeper, it seems this action is causing the error

Clipboards Macros.kmmacros (36 KB)

Thereā€™s also this error: those variable are large text variable. Can we make that go away or resolve it somehow?

2017-11-30 11:26:42 Variable ā€œKMVAR_VariableFieldForQuickFindā€ excluded from environment to ensure the environment is not too large
2017-11-30 11:26:42 Variable ā€œKMVAR_VariableFieldForQuickFindP1ā€ excluded from environment to ensure the environment is not too large
2017-11-30 11:26:42 Variable ā€œKMVAR_VariableFieldForQuickFindā€ excluded from environment to ensure the environment is not too large

Just delete those KM variables in the KM Editor System Preferences > Variables tab.

The error occurs in the Editor.log file, right? What is the editor displaying at the time this occurs?

Just running that action while displaying that action is not causing the assertion.

They are stating exactly what the issue is.

Those variables are too large to be stored in the environment variables, and so they are excluded from them, which may be a problem if you are expecting to be able to read them.

Clear them and adjust your macros to clear them after use.

Without more information, that is very hard to diagnose. I doubt the NamedClipboardPopupMenuController assertion has anything to do with it. If the variables above are very large, that could perhaps be an issue.

@troy, better yet, don't use global KM Variables unless you really need them. Use Local or Instance Variables.

1 Like

I could not duplicate the assertions with your macros.

issue is, that the variable is a list of names and numbers that I call up from Filemaker Pro. And want those names to be accessible from filemaker. I donā€™t want to have to ā€˜makeā€™ the variable every time I do a search in FMP.
I can make it once in the am, and then itā€™s there all day long.
I havenā€™t tried using a file or such to populate the ā€˜prompt from listā€™ macro, need it to be fairly instant.

hmmm, thatā€™s not good. thanx for the effort.

I did a test using a .txt instead of the variable by writing the variable to a file when I make it.
It works just great, thank you for your prompting to look deeper.

Looks like you have solved your problem.

I just wanted to mention that reading data from a file into a KM Variable is usually very fast. at least IME.

its fairly instant.
The set-up rocks, you can search in filemaker, of course, but it displays the ā€˜found setā€™ and if you are in ā€˜detailā€™ mode, you then have to ā€˜rolodexā€™ thru to find who you are looking for.
With KM, I have KM trigger a FMP script at 5am that goes thru the complete client table and makes a text file of their first/last name and serial ID. (and if I wanted any other info)
Then when I need to search for someone, I click a button in FMP that triggers the ā€˜prompt from listā€™ action, which is populated with all clients alphabetically, I click on who Iā€™m looking for and FMP is instructed to find that client serial. - very slick.

• I know you didnā€™t ask for all of this =), but thought if there was someone else out there using filmmaker, they might benefit from it.
    cheers