Feature Request: Lock KM Editor/Macro/Macros with a Password

Add possibility to lock a macro/macros OR KM editor with password, so no one could access a macro/macros OR KM editor except a person who knows the password.

KM works per user account (not system wide). So, only people who have access to your user account can run/access your KM macros.

In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General you can also set a “Require password [n] hours/minutes after sleep or screensaver begins”.

1 Like

Hi @kreal, I use the iLock app for this. This is not too expensive with 8,- $€. Of course locking and unlocking works with KM macros. In this example I use the macOS keychain and the Launchbar app:

ScreenFlow

I have also set this up with a 1Password Autofill login. If you want to use the app and are interested in the macros, please let me know.

1 Like

For what it's worth, if a user has access to your device or your user profile then locking the app itself behind a wall doesn't make it secure. a malicious user could still most likely access any confidential data stored within keyboard maestro's data files.

Best bet is to ensure that you don't store anything secret in plaintext anywhere (including in KM).

3 Likes

I have no plans to implement such features (for reasons covered well in the other comments).

BlockquoteAdd possibility to lock a macro/macros OR KM editor with password, so no one could access a macro/macros OR KM editor except a person who knows the password> Blockquote

Kreal, Great idea! I find the comments - to your suggesting - to be interesting. They touch upon the different reasons any one user might want to use a variable, script or macro.

My two cents: If any of us wrote a 3 or 4 line apple script and saved it, that script could be executed on thousands, maybe tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands (?) ) of mac computers.

It would be nice if we could do something similar with a km macro. For example, apropos to kreal's suggestion: The ability to write a password protected macro that can executed OS X platforms (whether it has KM on it or not). Unrealistic?

Protecting macros from unauthorized viewing/editing may be useful if several people are working on the same Mac using KM to do some work, not trying to protect a device from malware as it does not make any sense, in case, someone has remote control over it.

@appleianer thanks for suggestion!
I believe iLock will solve my request as i have no other choices.

Is it now possible to lock a macro from being copied to any other Mac computers?

Hey @hiren4776,

Nyet. It is unlikely that will ever be implemented, but you can always make a feature request to the support address.

Contact Keyboard Maestro Support

-Chris