Feature Request -- Preserve Bold and Italics in "Apply Style to Clipboard"

Hi Peter – while I’m in the swing of it I’m going to post a few questions/feature requests I’ve had rolling around in my head for months/years.

This one is just what it says in the title: In the “Apply Style to Clipboard” action, I’d love it if it were possible to choose a font family only, without having to specify Regular/Light/Oblique/Bold/etc – thus preserving Bold, Italics, and Bold-Italics. Or else the provision of checkboxes, or drop-down lists like for Strikethrough, Underline, and Superscript, or some such solution.

Thanks.

*(Note – for anyone else who is looking to do this particular thing, here is a little script you can add to a Macro if you don’t already have another solution. Apologies in advance if I’ve missed a simpler or more elegant way of doing it.)

–SCRIPT - TEXTEDIT - CHANGE FONT FAMILY, SIZE, COLOUR, PRESERVING BOLD AND ITALICS

tell application "TextEdit"
	tell text of front document
		--get font of every attribute run
		--set font of paragraph 1 to "Helvetica-Bold"
		--set size to 14
		--set its color to {0, 0, 0} --(Black)

set font of every attribute run whose ((font contains "Bold" or font contains "Black" or font contains "Heavy") and (font contains "Italic" or font contains "Oblique" or font contains "Inclined")) to "Helvetica-BoldOblique"

set font of every attribute run whose ((font does not contain "BoldOblique") and (font contains "Bold" or font contains "Black" or font contains "Heavy")) to "Helvetica-Bold"

set font of every attribute run whose ((font does not contain "BoldOblique") and (font contains "Italic" or font contains "Oblique" or font contains "Inclined")) to "Helvetica-Oblique"

set font of every attribute run whose (font does not contain "Bold" and font does not contain "Oblique") to "Helvetica"
	end tell
end tell

I’m not convinced there is any general way to do this. Bold/Italic are part of the font choice. Your script looks like a good solution for many cases, but not a method that would really work consistently in all cases.

Thanks for letting me know, Peter. I’m not too knowledgable about fonts. A couple of things that led me to believe it was standard or possible or whatever are my experiences in TextEdit and Scrivener. (In TextEdit you can click in the toolbar to alter the font-family while leaving bold and italics unaffected, and in Scrivener’s preferences you can set a preferred font family and then convert documents to it, again leaving bold and italics unaffected.)

Thanks for your reply and for hipping me to the challenges involved.