[Feature Request] Record and Go (RAG Macros)

There are times when I need a simple macro to do a few actions that I may need only a few times, which is too small a need to bother with the setup Keyboard Maestro requires for a palette or hotkey macro. This could also be thought of in the contexts of an option for rapid prototype testing or a newbie playground to get your toes wet.

It’d be nice if there were an option to record some actions that would immediately present a preconfigured palette scoped to the present app for immediate use without evoking the editor. An upgrade would be to have these pre-configurations be configurable.

Of course, these quickie prefig-palettes would go into a default macro group, which could later be moved and modified. For keyboard junkies, there could be a default setting that could switch from auto-creating a palette to auto-creating a hotkey trigger macro (or others?) by presenting a dialog to set the hotkey.

This doesn't do it for you ?

Keyboard Maestro Export

action:Record Quick Macro [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

manual:Recording [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

Thank you.

No, not really.

Functionally, its only holds one recording and then gets overwritten by the next recording like the clipboard. Adding a history would help and the interface needs development as well.

I'm requesting developing this basic feature into something more robust. For me, the biggest barrier is the invisibility of the feature and it's restriction to keyboard only access. That's why I'm suggesting the auto creation of a palette or addition to existing palette for visual confirmation and access and ongoing existence of these quick recordings.

Maybe the "Add to Palette" option means add to the Global Macro Palette? It's unclear what that does and the wiki helps doesn't explain. Am I misunderstanding?

1 Like

I assume this still works, and it might help you:

It lets you import the last recorded macro, so you can look at it and edit it.

It's not always guaranteed I return the correct recorded macro, since KM's method of storing them is ambiguous, but it works most of the time.

Responded over here: MACRO: Import Quick Macro v2.1 - Updated Jan 10, 2022 (It works now) - #28 by peternlewis

1 Like