Feature Request : Undo history

Hey there,
It would be super nice if we get an undo history in keyboard maestro, even if it only shows what actions took place...thanks

I'm not really sure what you mean. Keyboard Maestro has the normal Mac undo, you can undo as much as you want (well, within reason) and then redo.

Do you mean some sort of visual indication of what would be undone, or what as been done in the past? I don't know of any Mac app that does that.

For what it's worth, Logic Pro does. There's a key command that shows a list of the last x editing actions performed and clicking on one will undo every step after and including it.

Here is Logic's Undo History....It is handy to see what has been done every time I open Logic...It clears it after I quit Logic....something like this would be nice for Keyboard Maestro too.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has a similar feature.

Fair enough. I have no plans to add such a feature I'm afraid.

is there a way to increase the amount of undos? The current level always makes me lose my work on macros

As described in the KM wiki, you can set the maximum undo stack size in the editor using manual:Preferences [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

I don’t know if that’s what you’re looking for though.

I tried that and it didn't work. im trying to undo more than the default limit which is 10 undos. But thank you for your help

If you’re continually needing to “rewind” your work beyond the available 10 undos then perhaps you’ll need to modify your workflow. Here’s a thought about that from @peternlewis: [Comment] What I love most about KM - #4 by peternlewis

From my point of view, whenever I’m going to redevelop a macro or just develop a new one I regularly “save” my current work by duplicating the macro and appending a time stamp to its name. Having said that maybe 10 undos is a bit mean and perhaps Peter might consider making it configurable within limits.

1 Like

There is no 10 limit to undos. The default limit size is 200MB. And undo entry is basically the same size as the Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist file size. So the number of undos is 200MB divided by the size of your macros. And you can change that default with:

defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor MaximumUndoSize -int 200000000

The editor will need to be relaunched to the change to take effect.

2 Likes

thanks for the explanation. do i put the defaults write com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor MaximumUndoSize -int 200000000 into the plist file, or into terminal?

Run the command in the terminal, all on one line, adjusting the 20000000 as desired.

The undo stack is stored in memory, so how much memory you have will determine what is reasonable.

As @tiffle mentioned, if you are regularly undoing 10 times, you probably want to rethink your workflow. As well as making a copy of the macro, another option is to quit & relaunch the Keyboard Maestro editor, and then the File ➤ Revert to Editor Launch will allow you to revert back to as your macros were when you launched the editor.

1 Like