Filing files to Evernote

Hi,
been looking around and did not immediately see a previous question regarding filing files to Evernote using Keyboard Maestro.
I have taken a look at the Third Party Action extension, but it does not fit the purpose.

So, what do I want to do: select a file (or multiple files) in Finder, and add these to Evernote. Each file as a separate note, and the file name without extension as note title.

In the Keyboard Maestro macro itself I would like to add some tags as well.

PS: I have an Applescript which I use in Hazel and Automator to do this, but I struggle with the Keyboard Maestro migration…

tell application "Evernote"
   activate
   create note from file theFile notebook {"myNotenook"} tags {"myTag1", "myTag2", "myTag3"}
end tell

PPS: the advantage of doing this via Keyboard Maestro is that it syncs the behavior to all my machines, which is magic!

Hey Selsro,

That's easy.

Don't be scared by the error-handler which is bigger than the script.   :smile:

-Chris

------------------------------------------------------------
# Add files selected in the Finder to Evernote.
try

tell application "Finder" to set finderSelectionList to selection as alias list
  if finderSelectionList ≠ {} then
    tell application "Evernote"
      activate
      repeat with theFile in finderSelectionList
        create note from file theFile notebook {"myNotenook"} tags {"myTag1", "myTag2", "myTag3"}
      end repeat
    end tell
  end if

on error e number n
  set e to e & return & return & "Num: " & n
  if n ≠ -128 then
    try
      tell application (path to frontmost application as text) to set ddButton to button returned of ¬
        (display dialog e with title "ERROR!" buttons {"Copy Error Message", "Cancel", "OK"} ¬
          default button "OK" giving up after 30)
      if ddButton = "Copy Error Message" then set the clipboard to e
    end try
  end if
end try
1 Like

ccstone,

thanks for the swift reply.

In addition: let’s say that I want to use this one script, but based on the Keyboard Maestro if statements, want to make the Notebook and Tag “string” variables.
Is this easily done?

Hey Selsro,

You can use Keyboard Maestro's user input to save same into a variable or variables and then access them easily with AppleScript.

tell application "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
  set myVarName to value of variable "kmVarName"
end tell

So I would't quite say it's easy, but it's not all that difficult either.

-Chris

Chris, that's a very nice, simple, script to get the job done.
EverNoted.

Hi guys,
I wanted to add something to the script.
After adding the file(s) to Evernote, they can be trashed.
So I added this lines right after the Evernote “create note” statement.

set posixFile to POSIX file theFile
tell application "Finder"
  move posixFile to trash
end tell

However, I get following error.

Evernote got an error: Can’t get POSIX file (alias "Macintosh HD:Users:xxx:Dropbox (Personal):Action:xxx-receipt_2016-05-26_16-06-4 copy.pdf").
Num: -1728

As an AppleScript newbie I’m a bit lost here…

Hey @selsro,

You’re trying to mess with posix-files in the Finder. It doesn’t like them especially.

On top of that you’re trying to tell an alias to a file that it’s a posix-file - that doesn’t work too well.

In my script theFile is already an alias – a file-object-specifier the Finder understands.

Moving an item to the trash using its alias is simple:

tell application "Finder"
  set finderSelectionList to selection as alias list
  if length of finderSelectionList = 0 then error "No files were selected in the Finder!"
  set theItem to item 1 of finderSelectionList
  delete theItem
end tell

* Note – an alias in AppleScript is similar to but different from an alias file in the Finder.

-Chris

Was looking for a macro that would move files in finder to Evernote. Looks like this is it. However, there are several edits along the way and I was wondering if someone could post a complete .kmmacros file that has passed the test of time.

Thanks.

Tony