I use Scrivener for research/ writing texts. For each text entry there will be chosen a Synopsis line (most often by selecting text from the body), and using the Scrivener hotkey for pasting selection into Synopsis.
After this has been done I will put the date the text was original created, In front of the synopsis, and the form for these dates are: yyyy-mm-dd followed by a blank. By doing it this way the entries will show up in chronological order, rather that alphabetical.
I am using Aeon Timeline together with Scrivener, and for this reason I have opened for using these 4 Custom metadata:
The content of these fields are entered manually in Scrivener (reflecting the text-content) and all 4 are entered as Text.
Once I have synced the Scrivener project (with Aeon) I will get a nice, but sometime huge, matrix outlining the connections. I like that, it gives me a more intuitive picture compared to staying in Scrivener and using the excellent search there, one at a time.
So I am having the best of both.
Yet, as I do not really see the timeline, but mostly the matrix, this happens:
IF the Start: is empty on sync. Aeon will assign it to a kind of random date, and that date will flow back into scrivener on next complete sync… and those odd dates will pop up in my tidy project as maybe: Sat 2018-10-06
This I don’t want, so I make a search in Scrivener for this entry: Sat 2018-10-06 and will get a list of all entries containing this (yes, metadata IS included in search)
And now Keyboard Maestro rides to rescue. I have made a macro that will copy the first 10 characters (the date) of the synopsis and paste it by overwriting into Start: … and… redoing the search. Since the record just fixed does no longer qualify, number 2 on the list is now number 1.
Hooray and repeat
For situations where there might be substantial number of entries to be fixed I have made another macro that will loop the first macro, x-times.
The macros as they are need to have Scrivener window in top-left corner, If you want to try them out you may have to adjust according to the screen you have, I use an iMac 27” - 5K.
“5_ScrivFix 3” Macro
5_ScrivFix 3.kmmacros (14 KB)
6_Replace_5_times.kmmacros (4.3 KB)