Folder trigger that can alert other computers

Hello everyone,

Here’s the problem I can’t solve and I don’t know if it’s possible.
We have at work files that we often update on a server, each time a file is updated, someone send a mail to everyone. So I created a macro that is able to know when a file is added or updated and pop an alert with the name of the updated file.

But the problem si that KM trigger the macro only if I am the one who updated the file…
Is there a way to monitor a folder even if it’s someone else that update it?
Or, another solution, to pop an alert on other computers (they all have KM) when I update files?

Thanks everyone,
All the best,

Nicolas

Are the files on a remote server? Keyboard Maestro will only see changes if the file system is mounted, and even then, it might depend on a number of factors as to when or how that notification might happen if the file is changed remotely.

This you can do easily enough. Use Keyboard Maestro’s new (v8) Remote trigger, you can have a macro triggered remotely (and it can include a parameter. In the trigger, you can set the trigger to be "Shared". By default, it is configured for "this Mac only" and includes a UUID unique to that Mac. But you can changed it to shared, and then it uses two UUIDs that you configure (I recommend not changing them, but you can if you like - but remember these are global world wide, so a UUID ensures you wont have a collision with someone else). Once it is configured as shared, you can use the same pair of UUIDs on each of your target Macs, and then when the remote trigger is accessed, it will trigger on all the Macs (including yours, if the trigger is active on yours as well).

There is even a Remote Trigger action to easy triggering macros remotely (although it does not include a parameter facility, which is an odd omission).

Thanks a lot Peter! These informations are more than enough, it should solve the problem.

Have a nice day,
Nicolas

1 Like