Found Image Not Finding in Front Window in Google Chrome

I've noticed that find image works fine in all screens or main screen, but it can't find any images in the front window in Chrome, regardless of the precision. Is this just me?

@umop, it must be something in your macOS, Chrome, or Macro setup.
I use several KM Actions that use Found Image with Chrome frequently, and it always works for me.

If you'd like more speciifc help, please post/upload your script/macro, and a screenshot of the Chrome page, and clearly identify the image you are trying to find.

Also, please read:
Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

Yes, this is a know issue caused by weird accessibility behaviour in Chrome.

I may try to work around it for the next version, but basically Chrome is giving a different accessibility answer for the window title than the actual window title, and that is confusing Keyboard Maestro.

I forgot about that.

@umop: But Chris @ccstone to the rescue. Instead of the "front window", use an "area" based on the frame of the front window:

I had made this change to my macros long ago, and forgot about it. :wink:

This should be worked around for the next version of Keyboard Maestro (or resolved anytime the lunatics who caused Google Chrome to add “ - Google Chrome” to the end of every window’s accessibility title revert their ridiculous change).

I'm in the middle of learning how to find things in Chrome windows.

Has this issue been fixed or worked around? If so, where would I look to find out and not have to bump this old thread?

As for the ridiculous change, don't hold your breath. I used to work at Google and if there's no compelling internal reason to not leave the brand on it, the aren't likely to change it. If a big client complained, that might be enough of an "internal" reason, but common sense and aesthetics is not likely to be sufficient. I suspect the attitude will be that it is consistent over time and thus users can learn to program around it and since it's been there for a while, it might break things to change it.

1 Like

Hey August,

Peter says above that he worked around the problem, and as I remember that worked fine – until Google changed it again.

It's broken.

Getting the name of the front window:

With Vanilla AppleScript:

Found Image Not Finding in Front Window in Google Chrome - Questions & Suggestions - Keyboard Maestro Discourse

With AppleScript & System Events:

Found Image Not Finding in Front Window in Google Chrome - Questions & Suggestions - Keyboard Maestro Discourse - Google Chrome - Christopher

But – my workaround that @JMichaelTX mentions above still works.

-Chris

Yep. Google generally only seems to be concerned about wasting development time of their paying customers, and really not even then. The flip side is that it allows them to have a really short update-and-release cycle.

1 Like