Found Images Suddenly Broken in Google Chrome

Greetings,

All of the sudden, previously functioning macros in Google Chrome with Found Image actions and conditions suddenly broke. It's possible/probable Chrome updated itself; I don't know.

I fooled around replacing images, until I discovered that If I change the conditions of a 'pause until image found' or 'click on found image' to scan the entire screen, rather than the app or specific window, they return 'true' or click as required, but it slows down each action by at least two seconds (and what feels like an eternity) per action (I have six displays); If I use an action with three found image conditions, it's pretty ridiculous.

I've tried quitting/restarting the engine, and logging out.

I've also looked into window title issues, but the title names have not changed; and, besides, it happens for frontmost window, anyway.

Other apps using found image seem to be fine. Might Chrome have changed the definition of what a 'window' is, and KM can't respond? My actions are on a Google Hangouts "app" window, as opposed to a normal browser tab.

Any ideas why KM can't see an image in a focussed Chrome window, but can if it instead scans the entire screen?

This is almost certainly related to the issue discussed here: I can't take a screenshot of the front window in Chrome 69 anymore

As @ccstone reported there, the latest release version of Chrome has screwed up window and tab ID numbers, which is preventing KM from "seeing" its front window. Fortunately, this issue appears to be resolved, at least for window numbers, in the current beta build of Chrome, Version 69.0.3497.92 (Official Build) beta (64-bit), which can be downloaded here: https://www.google.com/chrome/beta/
This is probably your best solution until this screw-up is fixed in the release version.

My macro which has previously worked successfully using the Move and Click at Found Image is getting the following errors in the Engine log.

2018-09-20 23:33:54 MatchImage::Match failed to create images 2
2018-09-20 23:33:54 Move or Click Mouse no unique image found.
2018-09-20 23:33:54 Move or Click Mouse no unique image found. Macro “Steel Report JimP Email” cancelled (while executing Move and Click To Pop-Out Message).

I'm unable to get a working Chrome Version if I'm experiencing the same problem as gglick referenced. The https://www.google.com/chrome/beta/ link yielded Version 70.0.3538.22 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

“MatchImage::Match failed to create images 2” means Keyboard Maestro could not create the source or target image.

Perhaps there is no front window (or no front window Keyboard Maestro can find)?

Or perhaps there is memory issues making it impossible to create the images?

Or perhaps there is something blocking the image capture.

It appears that I'm experiencing the same issue referenced by gglick because image actions that previously worked are no longer working. Can anyone tell me how to get a working Chrome version to confirm the issue is related?

Since I wrote that post, I'm afraid the latest beta version of Chrome is also going through the same issue that's causing this problem. Fortunately, it now seems like the current stable/release version of Chrome, Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit), at least fixes the window index issue (if not the ID one) which should fix these image action problems for the moment. It's disheartening to see that the Chrome team still hasn't fully resolved this strange issue even in the recent betas though…

gglick,

Downloaded the stable/release version of Chrome, Version 69.0.3497.100 and macros now work again!

Thank you

1 Like

You got me all excited; just updated to the release indicated and mine are all still broken; I could not make it work with the beta, either.

Frederico

2018-09-21 09:58:37 MatchImage::Match failed to create images 2

2018-09-21 09:58:37 Move or Click Mouse no unique image found.

2018-09-21 09:58:37 Move or Click Mouse no unique image found. Macro “Launch gVoice via Hangouts” cancelled (while executing Move and Click at (0,0) from the Center of the Found Image).

Hi Frederico,

What version of Chrome are you using exactly? At the moment, it looks like anything other than Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) isn't going to work right with KM actions that rely on the front window.

I updated to the official build number you quote above. I had previously installed the beta, which didn’t fix my problems so I uninstalled and reinstalled previous version (public release). Today I simply used Chrome’s check for updates feature to get the new newest release; again, it matches the number you quote above. No joy.

For the first part of my macro, if I allow the image to be searched for on all screens, it is unique enough to be found, although it takes up to 10 seconds depending on how much I have displayed on my six screens; the next part of the macro is an if statement looking for multiple conditions; and it depends heavily on looking at only the Chrome (Hangouts) window in the frontmost position, or matching the window title. The image it is targeting in any part of the if statement is very tiny and tends to match a considerable number of objects open in other windows on additional screens, so I get too many matches and the macro fails; if I tell it to look only in the frontmost window, or a window with a particular title, the chrome bug rears its ugly head and fails to provide it to KM and KM pukes.

It is becoming tiresome.

Thanks for your interest.

Frederico,

Which version of MacOS? I'm running Keyboard Maestro 8.2.4 on macOS 10.12.6

Same. I am starting to wonder if it has something to do with my six displays; I’ve just had a horrendous week and I’m exhausted; but I intend to adjust the macros to see how it responds with objects on the main screen. I also realized I have not logged out and log in; I suppose that’s worth trying.

Maybe even rebooting.

I am seeing the same issue.
See

Running Google Chrome 69.0.3497.100 (3497.100) on macOS 10.12.6

I've also confirmed since the issue has returned again, even with the latest release of Chrome and KM, that simply changing the macro action from "front window" to "main screen" enables successful results and operation.

I’ve been extremely busy this past week, and quite honestly, that breaking of my daily workflow has had me avoiding my Mac as a result; I take and make a tremendous number of daily calls via Hangouts via Chrome, and to not do so with a single key stroke Is horrible when I am forced to mouse click mouse click mouse click mouse click mouse click mouse click just to take or make a call.

Since I have six screens, I have to figure out how to try to deploy location of image by screen index instead; the thing is it’s not always consistent, and since chrome is not returning information correctly, I got stonewalled on my to to 3 BRIEFR times at working around it.

Thanks for confirmation that it will work if I can add additional if statement trees to get there.

Hey Frederico,

Front window is broken presently in the Keyboard Maestro action.

BUT -- I was able to substitute the window frame of the front window in Chrome instead.

Google -- Find Image in Front Window Tests.kmmacros (27 KB)

I tested with click found image as well, and it works.

I'm testing with the newest Chrome Beta on macOS 10.12.6.

Google Chrome Beta -- v70.0.3538.22 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

I only have 1 screen, so I can't be sure how it will work with 6.

I think as long as you're working in the front window you'll be okay, but you'll have to test to be sure.

-Chris

I was able to change several parts of my macro from window ID to screen ID, and some of them now work properly; but other parts still refuse to work. It's also very slow compared to when it worked by defining the window ID by name or number. One of the worst parts to be broken is the ability to answer an incoming call with a single keystroke. I got the bit working so I can make an outgoing call, but most of my calls lately have been inbound and it's driving me insane; it takes about six mouse clicks to actually answer a call, and my Parkinson's makes mousing around, especially when you're counting rings, very agitating. I hope the Chrome team gets this figured out soon.