Growl Gone; Can't Read Long Errors; Macro to Show Error Log File

Just upgraded to 8; lots of Macros breaking, especially anything with Found Images, Flow Control using Pause and app Conditions Met.

Growl used to display messages at a size and delay I could read, plus kept a detailed log file; now macOS Notifications disappear too quickly, and are so small and badly truncated I can’t discern the issue even when looking in the Notifications History pane.

Since Sierra Console is (also) a disaster for old people, I created a macro in KM to show the error log in Terminal, where you can set the text and font size to your liking; you can make your own using the following command:

tail -f ~/Library/Logs/Keyboard\ Maestro/Engine.log

For those of us still desperately hanging on to useful tools like Growl and GeekTool, you can also use GeekTool to display the same log file on the Desktop or in a floating window, easily toggled on and off with KM and AppleScript.

Personally, I would like to see KM add it’s own Error Log window/console (if it exists already, I’ve never found it), as opposed to just exposing the log files in Finder.

Specific examples of issues would help resolve any problems.

Unfortunately, continuing to support Growl was problematic. Relying on a third party framework and the issues related to that became untenable.

Yes, I will probably add support for a log window at some point, it just has not made it to the top of the list.

You may find this macro helpful:

###MACRO: [KM] Display Macro Error

Oh, the irony. (:

2017-09-20 21:05:30 Execute macro “[KM] Display Macro Error” from trigger The Status Menu
2017-09-20 21:05:31 Search Regular Expression failed to match ^([\d-: ]+) (.+)Macro\s‘([^’]+)’ ([\w ]+)(while executing (.+))
2017-09-20 21:05:31 Search Regular Expression failed to match ^([\d-: ]+) (.+)Macro\s‘([^’]+)’ ([\w ]+)(while executing (.+)) Macro “[KM] Display Macro Error” cancelled (while executing PARSE ERROR LOG into Usable Fields).

I just wanted to you have some fun! LOL

Maybe something the KM Log format has changed. I'll check it out.
Thanks for reporting this.

If you don't hear back from me within a day or two, feel free to bug me and/or PM me.

Hi,

I’m waiting with upgrade to v.8 due miss of Growl.

But, for test in v.7 I use growlnotify from http://growl.info/downloads.

Create action “Execute Shell Script” with something like:
/usr/local/bin/growlnotify -m “$KMVAR_Temp” to display Temp variable in Growl.

More growlnotify options in man.

Regards,
Henio