I ran into a major data loss and would like to know how to recover the lost data, if possible.
I had been using Dropbox as the syncing service for Keyboard Maestro before the accident for ~1y. Today, I renamed the folder containing the existing
.kmsync file and wanted to point KM to the location of the renamed folder. I went to KM Preferences > General and saw that “Sync Macros” was disabled, which I assumed was because I renamed the parent folder without KM knowing, so I re-enabled the option and chose Open Existing… > Replace All Macros.
Upon loading the new
.kmsync file, I was greeted with a much older version of my macro library, i.e. the number of macros were much smaller than it should be, with many new macros missing and some deleted / renamed macros still existing / using their old name.
I immediately went into Time Machine and browsed to yesterday’s snapshot of my local Dropbox folder. To my surprise, the version of the
.kmsync file in the snapshot was identical to the current version, so I had no idea what to do next to recover my data.
I guess the reason is that KM has stopped writing new data into the
.kmsync file in my local Dropbox folder for quite some time now, so the file is actually outdated without me noticing. If this is true, then which directory should I dive into in Time Machine to recover the version of my macro library that KM has been keeping up-to-date? Also, how do I identify how this whole situation even happened in the first place, whether it’s caused by a bug somewhere or something wrong I did, so that other users don’t have to experience the same horror story? Thanks in advance!
Additional info that may or may not be useful:
- I started using Maestral instead of the official Dropbox app as the client some time ago,
but I cannot tell if the outdatedEdit: I’m pretty sure I started using Maestral after listening to MPU episode 616, which aired on Nov 29. The oldest Time Machine snapshot I have dates back to Nov 9, and the
.kmsyncfile happens to be the version just before the switch.
.kmsyncfile on Nov 9 is identical to the current version. So the sync file has been outdated since earlier than Nov 9 and Maestral is most likely innocent.
- In the renamed Dropbox folder, I also kept Alfred’s sync file,
Alfred.alfredpreferences. After renaming the folder first, I first loaded Alfred’s sync file, which was up-to-date and worked fine. Then I loaded KM’s sync file and ran into the issue.