How can I assign media play key as a hotkey trigger?

How can I assign media play key as a hotkey trigger?

Not any reply yet. Can’t the “play/pause” key be assigned as a hot key?

Hardware/Media keys cannot be used as hot keys.

Typically these are on combined hardware/function keys, and the Fn key toggles which behaviour you get when you press the single physical button, either the hardware key or the function key. Overall, the meaning of the Fn key can be toggled in the System Preferences.

The Fn key is not a real modifier key (like Command or Shift), instead it acts almost like a physical switch so that the single physical key acts as two different keys, either the hardware key or the function key.

Function keys can be used as hot keys, but hardware keys cannot.

You may be able to use the hardware keys with the USB Device Key trigger. If it detects the key, then you can use that to trigger a macro. However unlike a hot key, the USB Device Key trigger does not stop the key from performing its normal function. So pressing the media key might be able to trigger a macro, but it will continue to perform its normal function as well.

2 Likes

Is there any way to stop the hardware keys normal function form triggering? I’m trying to switch hardware keys to normal function keys but just in terminal while keeping hardware keys as normal in other applications. (kind of like using the system preference’s toggle fn keys setting, but just for terminal)