How Do I Trigger Macro When Dropping a File Into a Folder?

Hi all, I'm new to KM and this particular macro has really helped with my day-to-day work. I often have to edit transcripts by removing paragraph returns and adding in spaces. This is a big help!

I wonder though, how could it be changed to say trigger when dropping a file into a folder?

I managed to add 'save' and 'close' actions, so all I have to do for now is open the Word document, but I'd also like it to just run automatically without me even opening a document. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

Since you asked a new question, your post has been moved to a new topic.
Please follow this policy in the future.

Macro example to trigger macro when adding a file into a folder:

Hey Dustin,

Welcome to the forum!   :smile:

I'm not aware of any means to process the content of a Word document without opening it in a compatible application.

If you manage to find something that works for that please do let us know.

-Chris

Python has a module that can process the content of a Word file.

See
python-docx — python-docx 0.8.10 documentation (python-docx.readthedocs.io)
and
Python - Process Word Document - Tutorialspoint

I have not tried it yet.
@dustinh If know Python, you may try it out and let us know if it works for you.

1 Like

Thanks Martin!  That looks quite spiffy.

Now the question is will Dustin have the fortitude to learn enough about Python to use it.

:sunglasses:

-Chris

2 Likes

Thank you, Chris!

I was able to get the process running - I just open the document, and press a function key and then it does it's magic - saves/closes the document, too.

Basically my day job is an educational technologist - so lots of ripping apart of PowerPoint files (extracting the audio, images and text) which are then re-built for more mobile-friendly formats. Hands-on audio editing, too, and tidying up transcripts (lots of repetitive tasks!) among others.

As far as @martin's suggestion about Python... that might be a longer term project. I currently work full time and study part-time (doctorate in education)... though that said, Python might be good later for (maybe?) research!

I honestly wish I'd looked into KM earlier as I'm already saving a lot of time! :smiley:

1 Like

Great!

Then you should have the skills needed to figure out the Python method, and there are a few people on the forum who might be able to help.

:grin:

Just about everyone who gives it a serious try says that – except me, since I was using it the day it came out – along with QuicKeys, FastScripts, TypeIt4Me, ...

-Chris

2 Likes