How I organize longer macros for easier debugging

This was a description of how I organized my macros using Repeat and some other things. But the methods below are much nicer, so I’ve pulled the original post offline while I edit it. But basically, if you’re looking for help organizing long macros, keep reading here, as the advice below is excellent!

-rob.

Just a note @griffman, Keyboard Maestro now has Group action that you can use instead of a Repeat Action 1 Times. Also, you can now rename actions (like the Group action), which you can use instead of the comments if all you want is a title.

1 Like

You could use the Group-function instead of Repeat Actions 1 Times.
And you can rename the Group by right-clicking on it. So if you comment is short you could use that.

Using Groups is definitely the way to go. And get this macro - it's a huge timesaver:

Additionally, not only can you rename Groups, but you can rename any action. For instance, I often rename "IF" actions. "Abort if error", "Validate parameters", etc.

Finally, you can break apart portions of large macros into sub-macros. Let me know if you need more information on this - it's a broad topic.

1 Like

Ha! I had asked Peter about adding group a long time ago, and totally missed that it had happened! Thanks all for the pointers; updating my macros, and updating that blog post!

-rob.

1 Like