How much time have you saved with KM? πŸ•‘

I'll take second place!

Fingers crossed that a future business model doesn't involve paying per month saved :upside_down_face:

Well, if Peter is willing to spread the payments over three or four thousand years, then it could prove manageable, if you feel you’ve got the stamina to push on that long …

Okay, I now understand why I saved so much time for something I use very little. In the past I uploaded videos onto youtube and this was my way of refreshing the page until the youtube video became available. Because the code is terrible (polling) and ultimately a hack it runs whenever I have Safari open xD:

I do have some which are legitimate though! A macro I used to zoom into an online 3d mandelbrot set which scrolled down smoothly 9999 times saved 40 hours. Which is probably true. Another I did use quite a lot was a bot to place wards on league of legends… xD (A fun experiment) saved another 40 hours. But overall I have used KM really not as often as I thought I had. Which is quite surprising to be honest! The more you know…

Yes, that sort of thing, especially executing a script, will generate a lot of "time saved".

If you think about it, if you had actually ran that script yourself manually every 2 seconds, that's the time that Keyboard Maestro saved. Clearly, the concept is a big bogus at that point, but that's the idea behind what Keyboard Maestro is counting.

If you wish to reset the Time Saved counter, I can track down whatever preference it is set in for you.

You're on the right track really. The best way is to let your macros grow organically, just keep watching for opportunities and your use will grow with time (though hopefully less than 3000 years ;- )

1 Like

Regardless of the estimate made by KM, I personally have not saved any time because I have used KM to replace DragThing. Either program saves a great amount of time compared to tracking down an application or file or folder and opening it. Both programs launch or open the chosen item very quickly.

At the moment, either program will do the job quite well. However, DragThing is a 32-bit program and the developer has stated that he does not intend to develop a 64-bit version. Since Apple has announced that the next version of the Mac OS will not support anything but 64-bit programs, I decided to bite the bullet and install KM now. I have no regrets.

Hey Tom,

Then you need to use your imagination and expand your repertoire of macros.  :sunglasses:

-Chris

Chris, I think your observation is probably correct. However, I'm now in my mid-eighties and don't use my computer nearly as much as I did when I was more active. The amount of time saved is certainly a function of the total amount of time spent. If I happen to stumble across the fountain of youth, I'll take your suggestion more seriously. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I always feel a little puzzled by this association of computers with 'saving time'.

One has only to glance around a railway carriage, or up and down a street, to discover that the unique selling point of a personal von Neumann device is clearly its unmatched capacity to kill time.

2 Likes

If a penny saved is a penny earned is a minute saved a minute well spent?