How to 100% turn off Mac app autoupdate?

Hi all!

I've been through the High Sierra "turn off auto updates" process in the Mac App Store, but still sometimes when I'm using KM to open up spreadsheets in Numbers, I get prompted about an update. It breaks my macro, and its very intermittent and not easily replicateable so I'm not sure on the best approach to fixing it. I could ultimately resort to turning off communication with the outside world if need be but I'm trying to avoid that if possible. Obviously Numbers itself has no helpful preference about turning off autoupdates. I guess what I'm alleging here is that even with all update preferences turned off in the Mac App Store, you can still get prompted about them.

Has anyone else had this experience?

All of my update notices from the Mac App store are notifications, and have no impact on any of my workflows or macros. You might check your notifications preferences.

I'm running macOS 10.12.6.

1 Like

Hi JMichelTX,

Thanks for the reply. My pickle is a bit different to the normal notifications that crop up, as it is a dialogue box mid screen that must be clicked through. Unfortunately its intermittent. It even occurs when wifi is turned off, which is a bit odd:31 am

Anyhow I might move my spreadsheet into a different software, or maybe start looking into how to use the KM dictionaries feature.

Hey Mark,

Put a macro with a Focused Window trigger in your Numbers macro group, then do something like:

On focused window change:
   - Test for window title <blank>.
   - OR test for the size of the window.
   - OR just check to see if button [Go to App Store] exists.

If your test returns TRUE then:
   - Use a **Press a Button** action to select the [Close] button.

You may have to fiddle a bit to get it right, but this little task shouldn't be very hard to accomplish.

-Chris

Yep, that is different. I rarely use the Numbers app, but for testing I opened it and guess what? Your exact popup appeared. LOL

Here is the macro I wrote to a auto-close it, which is the same as what @ccstone suggested. Unfortunately, during my testing the popup did NOT reappear. So I can't be for sure it will work, but it should.

Hi guys,

Thanks to both of you for your answers. I haven't been able to test either of these solutions out yet but I will report back once I have. Oddly enough reading both your responses allowed me to make the reflection that in this realm it seems like formulating the question correctly is half the answer, which then instantly solved a different KM problem I was wrestling with!

Hey Mark,

Amen to that!  :sunglasses:

Poorly thought-out and written questions generate a lot of noise and wasted time.

Sometimes this is unavoidable, because a person doesn't have a very clear idea of what they need.

But – clear questions, good data-samples (before and after), screenshots, and movies posted on YouTube – go a looong way toward getting a problem solved speedily and with minimum fuss.

Garbage in, garbage out...

-Chris

Just wanting to say that I used the the "if" action and the image condition and its been working perfectly, thanks to you both.