How to change the "scope" for an existing Macro?

I created a Macro in my Safari group, Now I’d like to have that Macro available in Firefox and Chrome.

I can also imagine wanting to change the scope of a Macro from a single application to all applications.

I’ve poked around the Editor and searched the Help, and I can’t find a way to change the “scope” (set of applications) for an existing Macro.

The scope is defined at the Group level. So select a group, and that’s where you change it, add more Applications to the “Available in These Applications” settings.

Let us know if you more information, because there are other ways to accomplish these things, depending on the type of macros

As Dan said, you set the macro scope, which KM calls "availability", at the Macro Group level.

FYI, I have several Groups to manage my macros used with various web browsers:

• Browsers -- set to be available in all web browsers (each one added separately)

• Safari
  • Chrome
  • Firefox
1 Like

I understand how macro scope is set in the Groups list. And I have the same four groups as @JMichaelTX.

Earlier, when I realized I wanted to expand the scope of my Safari macro, my first attempt was a simple drag-n-drop. When that didn’t seem to work, I looked elsewhere.

While composing this reply, I again tried drag-n-drop … and it worked!

• Mouse down on the macro name.
  • Move the mouse cursor over the destination group (Browsers).
  • Release the mouse.

I don’t know why the first drag-n-drop didn’t work for me. Ah, well, we now have a discussion topic in case someone searches for “change scope.”

Trust me, someone will need it. :slight_smile:

By the way, if you actually need a macro in more than one group, you can of course duplicate it, but you can also just reference it with an "Execute a Macro" action. And this macro can help with that:

1 Like

This is my preferred method.

1 Like

Having a single instance of a macro is a huge win, and Make Macro Alias is another win.

Thanks, @DanThomas

Thanks. I forgot I also posted this:

1 Like