How to Compare Two Macros?

I can only look at one macro at a time, but I have similar macros and would like to compare them in order to edit. Is it possible to open a second window?

No. I can think of two possible options:

1. Take a screenshot of one of the macros.
  2. Export both macros to macro files, and compare using a tool like BBEdit.

Good call, thanks

You can also use the "select recently used macros" button in the editor to switch to recent edited macro

I use the forward and back buttons for this, but I've got them bound to keyboard shortcuts.

B == Back

F == Forward

Select the Previously Edited Macro

Select the next edited macro

These AppleScripts go in KM's Execute an AppleScript actions with the text-script option.

-Chris

1 Like

This is an intriguing possibility. When I look at exported macros, they are in XML format. When I compare them, I find odd differences. One is a copy of the other with some minor changes that I made, but the difference (using the Mac utility, Meld.app) shows numerous differences that I didn't make, or at least I think I didn't. Most curious is the binary elements that are different. Could those be differences in saved images to find? What other binary elements are in .kmmacros files?

Is there any documentation of how a .kmmacros file is structured, what the different elements mean, etc.?

UPDATE: It is now possible to open a second Editor window. I'm doing it right now and found this thread because I was hoping to find better way than just a visual comparison.

To open the second Editor window, use the item in the KBM File menu:

I do not know which version introduced this option.

The option is not greyed out while I have two Editors, so I presume that it's possible to open a third (or more) as well. With two Editors open and the large Macro file that I have, moving around is somewhat choppy, but it's letting me get the job done.

UPDATE: Yes, it's possible to have three Editor windows open. I had two looking at the two macros I was comparing and then I wanted to see a different place in the second version of the macro. A third editor let me my Overview notes while the first two Editor windows let me see two different implementations that made the macros different. Moving around and editing in this environment is painfully slow on my system, so I'll be closing the extra windows ASAP now that I've figured out the difference.