How to Create One Letter Hotkey Triggers and Still Being Able to Type Them in a Text Field?

I see, so the mouse button is the "modifier". Sure, that's a good idea, but as you say, it's not a single key trigger in the real sense anymore. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I hate to contradict the master. Actually, I don't contradict him at all. I only add to his knowledge.

In the big beautiful world, there is not only KM. Other apps can recognize text fields and act accordingly. :wink:

Well...

Apps can do this with their own inbuilt shortcuts. Final Cut Pro can accept "v" to make an item in the timeline enabled or disabled and happily accept "v" in a text field as the letter v.

But that is because the code is written at some deep level in the App. As far as I know other Apps (including Keyboard Maestro) have no access to that level of coding when they are interacting with other Apps.

Ah, I can't quite keep up technically. But I meant it differently.

Other apps show you the name of a field of any other app where the cursor is. And once you know the name of a field, you can tell that app, if the cursor is in this field, then do this, not that ... (not with their own inbuilt shortcuts) hope that makes sense. :joy: