I use a little gem called "Folder Actions"

Whoohoo Thank you @Mirizzi I wasn’t sure but it’s true!
Wow KB is the best…

Again thank you very much…

Thank you for sharing this. I was looking for a way to do this and wouldn’t have found this solution without your help.
However, I tried this macro for “~/Desktop/%TriggerValue%” so that system Screen Shots would be tidied away, but I have found that the Macro stops my system Screen shots from appearing. Mac OS X 10.11.3. Has anyone else found this?
Works great fro Xscope shots though.

However, I tried this macro for "~/Desktop/%TriggerValue%" so that system Screen Shots would be tidied away, but I have found that the Macro stops my system Screen shots from appearing. Mac OS X 10.11.3. Has anyone else found this?

Yes, tiny ⌘⇧4 screenshots are fine, but ⌘⇧3 screenshots or larger ⌘⇧4 screenshots “disappear”.

That’s because they end up as (invisible) dot files in the Screen Shots folder:

It seems that —if the screenshot is large— it gets intercepted while still in a temporary state.

Change the TriggerValue condition to a regex match and it will work.

Move Screenshots.kmmacros (3.0 KB)

As an alternative (instead of the regex) you could also add a pause at the beginning of the macro:

1 Like

@Tom, many thanks for sharing this macro. It is really useful.

I started with your macro and added to it. My revised macro is posted here:

A ha, perfect, thanks for that. I would never have worked that out.
I did wonder if a pause might do it, but didn’t get as far as that. The regex match works a treat.

To be on the safe side put this in front of the macro:

See this post and the follow-ups.

@johnels, if you only want the screenshots to be saved to a different folder you can also change the system preference by executing this in the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location "~/Pictures/Screen Shots";  killall SystemUIServer

This will change the screenshots folder to ~/Pictures/Screen Shots. You can choose any folder you want.

I built a little wrapper for the defaults write command. You’ll find it here.

1 Like

I fear I may be missing the point of all of this but I will throw this out there anyway...

For screenshots, I created a folder action workflow with automator as such:

The "Pic_Snapshots" folder resides on my desktop. So the automator workflow is watching the desktop folder and when a screenshot appears it moves it into that folder.

Hi Tunes,

If you just want your screenshots to end up in a different folder, you don’t need any move or watch action. Just set the preferences accordingly.

See my post above and the mentioned wrapper macro.

Yes Tom. I know. :smile: But if I had done that, what would I have done for my first ever folder actions & automator.workflow project? If I hadn't done that first project the earth would have stopped spinning, cars would have run out of gas, the sun would have stopped shinning, and I would not be here in this forum. So do you see now why it was so important for that to be my first educational exercise. LOL!

However when I realized what you had there I scurried my butt over to the download link and snatched it. Nice wrapper.

Now, so what is the deal with the html prompts you and @JMichaelTX discuss in this thread?

LOL, yes, I’m grateful you didn’t make all this happen, especially the first one :cold_sweat:

The Wiki has a nice article about it, with some more forum topic links at the end.

Basically they fulfill the same role as normal user prompts, but with HTML prompts you have almost unlimited customization possibilities (layout, custom menus, …).

Thanks Tom. I will take a look. (Too many manuals!!).

You can also view topics with the html_prompt tag to see many examples.

Heh! Even more reading materials. I still haven't finished my javascript course or my regex tutorial.

I’m sure you wanted to say “and”, right?

Hmm. Well I don't know. Is this a grammar thing? 'Or' kind of works for me but if you like "and" I'll be happy to rephrase it. :smile:

LOL, no, it’s not a grammar thing. “Or” is fundamentally different from “and”.

What I wanted to say is that both things (JS course and Regex tutorial) are very useful for KM, thus you should finish both :wink:

That's the plan. Along with a little SQLite.

There, you will definitely have to mind your "p's" and "q's", err ah, "AND"s and "OR"s. LOL

1 Like