If I have only the macro UUID, what would be the simplest way to navigate to that macro?

I am not looking for a one time solution. I often have this problem, and would like to be able to do so with a global macro which I would trigger → would ask me for the UUID → navigate to the macro.

I found this macro but it does not work
[KM] Reveal Macro and Group From UUID - Macro Library - Keyboard Maestro Discourse

thanks very much for your time and help

Navigate as in "open in the Editor"? Can you not simply paste the UUID into the Editor's "Search" field then select the found macro?

Otherwise, try this:

Reveal Macro by UUID.kmmacros (3.0 KB)

3 Likes

Your macro is great !! Thanks you so much.
I really don't like any solution involving the editor's search field. Too slow and cumbersome based on my past experience but that's probably because I'm a bungler.
Thanks again VERY much !

1 Like

Hi @ronald. Here's another method if you want to specify the UUID.

Download: Reveal Macro by UUID (method 2).kmmacros (2.4 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.

System Information
  • macOS 13.4 (22F66)
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

Me too, but this macro helps:

Download: Search All Macros.kmmacros (22 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.

System Information
  • macOS 13.4 (22F66)
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

4 Likes

That looks a much better method. I must stop reaching for the AS hammer when @peternlewis has provided a full toolbox...

3 Likes

Hello @_jims

• thanks very much for search all macros. Very smart !
  • reveal macro by UUID thanks also very much
    thank you
2 Likes

Hi, @Nige_S. I use AS often too, but many times it's code I borrow from others. :wink:

On this topic, after revealing the macro, one might want to also add one of @ccstone's AS's that select the first or last action: AppleScripts for the Keyboard Maestro Editor

2 Likes

I wonder if a variant of your macro could fulfill another need, namely a macro search for macro based on the name limited to a specific macro group instead of the trillion macros in the user's KM editor.

It's what I have been requesting for years because palettes (like my global macro group palette) become enormous.

The group could be hard encoded in the Apple Script, meaning that one macro would specifically search for example the global macro group, and another macro another group.
It would be too tedious in terms of user workflow and defeat the purpose imo if the input included asking the user for the name of the macro group or asking the user to pick from a dropdown list.

Thank you for considering it

Hi, please ignore my question about triggering macros in specific groups. This works fine.

2 Likes

Just for posterity – here's how you'd go about that.

• The Keyboard Maestro Editor needs to be open, otherwise it will be opened.
--------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone <scriptmeister@thestoneforge.com>
# dCre: 2023/06/02 00:11
# dMod: 2023/06/02 00:11 
# Appl: Keyboard Maestro
# Task: Return the Name of Macros Whose Name Contains a Given String in a Given Macro Group.
# Libs: None
# Osax: None
# Tags: @Applescript, @Script, @Keyboard_Maestro, @Name, @Macros, @Contains, @Macro_Group, @String

set macroNameStr to "generic"
set macroGroupName to "Test Group.ccstone"

tell application "Keyboard Maestro"
   set macroNameList to name of macros of macro group macroGroupName whose name contains macroNameStr
end tell

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to linefeed
return macroNameList as text

1 Like