Input Password, but Make It Invisible

I'm aware of the keychain feature and I will do some research on that as well, but this particular case is a bit different, because this password cannot be stored on the keychain.

I'm using Firefox and it uses the Sync feature (for those of you who use that as well or know how it works). Unfortunately, Firefox becomes a bit annoying, always asking for the master password every time I run Firefox (after quitting the app).

So I would like to create a keyboard shortcut that automatically types in the password and hits Enter/Return, but I don't want the password to be visible on the macro itself, in case someone uses my computer. Sure, they will be able to use that shortcut and it will input the master password on Firefox, but they won't be able to actually see the password.

How can this be achieved?

First you need to retrieve the password from the keychain - see the KM wiki here: action:Set Variable to Keychain Password [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

But make sure you use a KM password variable to hold the password, see the KM wiki here: manual:Variables [Keyboard Maestro Wiki] (refer to the section about password variables)

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm not very familiar with how the Keychain works, aside from just saving my passwords when I'm prompted to save them. So you are saying I can save any password manually, even if it's not associated with a website or an app? Because, as I mentioned, Firefox (for this particular case) doesn't allow this master password to be saved to the keychain.

I tried adding a password, but I'm not 100% sure this is how it's done. If you can confirm...
Opened Keychain Access app
File > New Password Item
Keychain Item Name: "I just added a name that I can remember like - Firefox Master Password"
Account Name: "My username for my computer, in this case it's Danny Wyatt"
Password: "The password I want to use on Firefox"

Is this how to do it properly?
If so, then from there I can follow the instructions on the links you provide.
Please, let me know if I'm on the right path :wink:

That sounds about right @iamdannywyatt !

Sorry - I missed that…

1 Like

Thanks for confirming!
I was looking at the Variables page and it seems very complex. I need to go over it when I have some extra time.
I was also looking at the Macro Library and saw the Secure Passwords group and imported it to see how it's built.

By the way, when I did that, it said that I already imported it (from a few hours ago, but then deleted the group). Why is it saying there's a duplicate, when the group is not there anymore? When I delete a group, is it going to a "trash bin" or something, so it's assuming I still have that other group there?

If you’re talking about the Macro Library found in the KM Window menu then this from the KM wiki explains your problem:

Note that currently there is no way to delete imported macro library entries from your Macro Library

See the wiki here: manual:Macro Library [Keyboard Maestro Wiki] for more info on how to actually perform the deletion - it is possible but not intuitive.

Those macros are really just examples of the sort of stuff KM can do and are often a great help to new users of KM like yourself. If you haven’t already done so you might want to look at this:

https://forum.keyboardmaestro.com/t/getting-started-with-keyboard-maestro-and-the-forum/

1 Like

Oh ok! And yes, that was the library I was talking about.
I will read what's on those pages. Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Have a look at this topic:

Set and Get a Keychain Password

Thanks for the link.

For me right now, this is a more complex issue than I can comprehend, but I will save this thread and maybe in the future I will be able to fully understand what you guys are discussing there :wink: