Is it OK to upgrade to Catalina?

Here's another reason to not upgrade to Catalina:

Apple Changed Apple Mail display options in macOS 10.15 Catalina

Apple changed long-standing display options in macOS Mail with the release of 10.15 Catalina. This no-longer-new version dropped the ability in Mail’s column view (via View > Use Column Layout) to manage columns widths, click to sort by characteristics (like sender, subject, and size), and to retain your preferred ascending or descending first order when you switch among sorting options.

Unfortunately, despite the passage of time and many complaints in Apple’s forums, this remains in place.

I see sort by subject and size, is there something missing?

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.25 PM

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.30 PM

You may be right, I can't confirm or deny since I don't use Apple Mail. I was simply passing on the MacWorld article.
If you have read their article, and can refute it, please let us know. If so, I'll update my post with your findings.

My MacBook Pro is running Catalina, but my MacPro is on Sierra still and likely will be for a while.

I'm capped currently to running High Sierra, unless I want to replace my GTX 1080Ti with an ATI/AMD Card, thanks to Apple's decision to not working with nvidia to release updated drivers.

That being said, as everybody else has pointed out mostly, if you need 32 bit apps, either find a replacement for them, or run an older version of OSX inside a VM.

I don't see View ➤ Use Column Layout on my 10.14 Mac Mail. Possibly because I have Preferences ➤ Viewing "Use Classic Layout". Have they removed that option in 10.15?

can confirm there's no way to manage column widths, so yeah, it might be different from the way it was before, can you share how it looks in your OS

They moved "Use Classic Layout" into the Menu and out of Preferences. Now it's called "View➤Show side preview", it's how I use Mail btw.
my mail:

As for Column Layout:
this article mentions View➤Use Column Layout, which I also see as an option in Catalina 10.15.4

but as I mentioned in the previous post, there's no column adjustment.

Hmm, I have mailboxes on the side, and then message lists above the message viewer.

Is that no longer possible in 10.15?

like this?

can you show an example or screenshot?

Yes, like that, except the top right pane has message list with columns…?

yes, catalina is stable, even more than Mojave in my experience (fewer spinning wheels).
I too had 32 bit apps. I solved the problem by taking an old iMac 2011 running Sierra out of storage

Perhaps there are no KM-specific issues, there are however, IMO, a number of major reasons NOT to upgrade to macOS Catalina.
I just found one more, which is a show-stopper for me:

Time Machine in Catalina 10.15.3 has serious bugs

1 Like

Yes, Catalina is working fine for me and no issues with Keyboard Maestro and Catalina.

I do agree with you that there are lots of problems with Catalina. For me the biggest one is the way Catalina deals with permissions for apps. It is just so annoying and not even helpful.

Catalina keeps asking me to allow apps (even inbuilt Mac apps) to grant permission to do just about anything. And it does it with the (already annoying) endless little notifications in the top right corner. It is very easy to accidentally dismiss one of these notifications and then it can be hard to allow permissions for an app at a later date. And that's before even considering the annoyance that is the "Secure Input Is Enabled" message... I really hope Apple come up with a better way to handle security issues in Big Sur.

But it is the nature of computers (and especially Macs) that we move relentlessly forward. And I have to admit that I get very excited before any new Mac OS upgrade. So, I tend to upgrade quite early with the thought that any pain involved (like printer and scanners not working) I want to get over with. But I only do this when I'm not in the middle of some critical work (and my company's office Macs very rarely get updated as they are always in the middle of doing work).

I had an experience upgrading at home a few years ago when I had almost finished editing a home movie and I just needed to render it out for a screening in a couple of hours. A notification popped up in the top right corner that an incremental OS update was available. For some unknown reason I clicked "install" and then my Mac shut down and I had to watch several progress bars inch across the screen, interspersed with completely blank screens for the next two hours... At one point the Mac hadn't been showing any sign of any activity for so long I wondered if I had killed it. But, very slowly, it came back to life and I was able to render my film for the showing. So, now I am more cautious.

I’ve been using Catalina in a corporate environment with lots of picky apps for almost a year.

I’d say it’s pretty stable. But obviously this one has bugs, like all non-trivial software does.