Is there a trick to get around the absence of access to the service menu with the Vivaldi MAC browser

Hello,
I enjoy the MAC Vivaldi browser: many useful tools, faster workflow, etc
One drawback is the absence of service menu.
I want to write macros for vivaldi, and wonder if there would be any way to access the services menu if it is absent from Vivaldi’s context menu (which Vivaldi confirmed is correct: there is no link to OSX context menu)
thanks very much for your time and help

Hey Ronald,

not very often, but in some cases, you may call me a pedant: The computer is called “Mac”. It’s not an acronym (like “PC” or “RTFM”). “MAC” is something completely different.

:cold_sweat:

2 Likes

And, to contribute some content:

I don’t know if it’s possible to summon the Service menu in an app that doesn’t support it. I tend to think No.

However you can always execute Service workflows via KM:

Since this works also when Vivaldi is frontmost, this could do the trick, depending on what you want.
You could also build a KM palette of Services, and it would be accessible while you are in Vivaldi.

PS:

I just installed that “Vivaldi”. It seems to be based on some cross-platform framework. I don’t know which. It doesn’t seem to be Electron, but I haven’t investigated further.

In that case I really don’t think that you can teach Vivaldi to use the Service menu.

Just as a note: Little Snitch told me that Vivaldi —on the first run— tried to connect to a whole bunch of Google addresses. Without ever having been asked to do that.

This was a very short-lived relationship :wink:

2 Likes

hello Tom,
My apologies for the delay.
I would certainly not call you that !!!
On the contrary, I very much appreciate your help and input and am grateful that you took the time to explain how to correctly use the Mac acronym.

thank you for your comment. Painful because I really like the Vivaldi workflow.

Could it be because it uses the Chrome engine?

I think that this is an excellent solution: ‘build a KM palette of Services’

Probably you meant “how to correctly use the MAC acronym” :slight_smile:

I thought the same. I don’t know much about the Chrome engine but somehow I doubt that the Chrome engine makes it obligatory to connect to these (blocked) addresses:

Interestingly, on a second launch it only tried to connect to ssl.gstatic.com and then to safebrowsing.googleapis.com. The latter is also used by Safari, I think.

PS/edit:

Well, now —Vivaldi still running— I got another request for update.googleapis.com. Without having touched the thing. So, I guess, I really don’t like it :wink:

1 Like

Yes, you are right: I should have said MAC acronym as opposed to Mac abbreviation.
You may perhaps be interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/vivaldibrowser/comments/2txp5g/why_does_the_vivaldi_browser_contact_google_every/?st=jbfe4t07&sh=4618bf65

Another note:

The problem you noticed (absence of access to the service menu) ist just one of the disadvantages with apps built with a cross-platform framework. If you get into the habit of using such apps, the next thing you will notice is that it doesn’t support AppleScript. That is, to script the app you’ll have to invent crazy GUI scripts or macros.

Personally I’m trying to avoid cross-platform apps — unless there is absolutely no native equivalent available. For example Audacity or dupeGuru. (Just checked it: both have a Service menu; so, Vivaldi’s framework really seems to be a cheap one…)

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Hilarious that Vivaldi is mentioning “privacy as a feature” (as stated in the reddit post). I searched on the Vivaldi page and couldn’t find it. So, maybe they withdrew it :wink:

1 Like

thanks very much for the info. I did not know about the cross-platform issue.
I will drop Vivaldi based on your experience.
That being said, it has some very powerful features as I mentioned above.
it is a bit strange that ‘power users’ (forgive the corny expression) use the same browsers as the plebians.
It just does not make sense.
I will at least try to find the Chrome extension equivalent of web page attached notes.
On the other hand, i can imagine that you just can’t use any new browser that comes out, simply for security reasons. I imagine that developers of browsers must spend an inordinate amount of time on security issues. That’s what attracted me to Vivaldi, because it is said to have the Chrome engine, whatever that means.
I can’t imagine that someone of your level is satisfied with Safari, Chrome or Firefox

That’s not what I wanted. I just wanted to prevent that you make Vivaldi your every-day browser and then, some day, we see a post of yours on this forum: “Please help, Vivaldi doesn’t understand AppleScript. How can I script it to do this and that?” :grin:

And then the poor folks on this forum have to spend hours to write clumsy accessibility scripts to access the most basic functions of Vivaldi. :cold_sweat:

I don’t know either what they mean. For me it doesn’t mean no good. But that’s just me.

Not sure what you mean with level. But I’m indeed not satisfied with Chrome. But Safari is a (almost) perfectly fine browser for my needs :slight_smile: The new Firefox (Quantum) isn’t shabby either. But I prefer Safari.

1 Like

thanks very much for a very interesting exchange

Since you made me curious, I just skimmed through the features of Vivaldi:

• It’s your web. Surf it the way you want: Fine.
  • Powerful, colorful History: Certainly a nice feature. I’m sure I’ll use it once.
  • Write Notes: Why on earth should I want to write notes in my Web browser? That’s like advertising a car whose feature is that it comes with a hamster in the trunk.
  • A million ways to customize everything: I’m already spending way too much time with customizing stuff.
  • Tab Stacking and Tab Tiling: Hmm. In Safari I hit ⇧⌘D and the page is out of the way but still quickly accessible. And it doesn’t use memory. And it’s on my iPhone.
  • Choose your style with Themes: See above, customizing.
  • Quick Commands: Well, looks nice. But, if I want it I can get the same via KM’s List Prompt, or via LaunchBar.

You see, I’m a bit negative today :smile:

BTW, I’ve seen that it also contains a “Task Manager”. I opened it and the first thing it did was trying to connect to Google. Alright…

1 Like

I think that you are a bit too critical.
The notes feature I find fantastic. It’s not ‘notes’ as in any other gazillion note taking app: these are notes linked to web pages, and I use it every day. I have been looking for something like that for years. Let’s say that it is the one great feature of vivaldi IMO.
Tabs: I don’t think that the safari reading list feature is that great. On the other hand stacking tabs by topic with vivaldi I find very useful ie practical. Tiling: you can simultaneously view 2 tabs which I find very useful. You can hibernate tabs to save memory (like other browsers)
My focus is entirely on the workflow.

1 Like

You might be right :pensive:

1 Like