Is there a way to toggle the activation mode of an application specific macro group palette?

Hello,
For each significant app, I have 2 KBM macro groups:
1- an always active in the app group containing keyboard shortcuts
2- a Shows the palette for one action group containing keyboard activated commands like 1,2,3,a,b etc
The disadvantage of (1) is having to remember often complex shortcuts.
(2) has disadvantages in certain apps: for example with a word processing app like Scrivener, Nisus etc, when reviewing a document, you may want the palette always active and use it to quickly highlight, make revision comments in different colors, etc.
There is the option is creating a third group for each app: an activated/deactivated when group****, but that creates more problems. It would be a copy of the show for one action, and a pain to make sure any changes in one group are reflected in the other
The ideal solution would be a macro which would allow me to change the palette activation mode of a palette on the fly.
Because use the shows a palette for one action 80% of the time, I would like to avoid solving this problem by using a conflict palette, and having to choose the desired palette activation mode each time I call up the palette in an app (in addition to have to manage 2 palette groups with similar macros.
Thank you in advance for your time and insight.

Its not quite clear what behaviour you want, but if you want the macros in the second group to be activate all of the time, and to show a palette some of the time, you can use the third last option, Always activated and shows a palette for one action when.

1 Like

Hello Peter,
Thank you for thinking about my post.
I wonder if I have perhaps found a new way to use KBM which would innovate in terms of workflow: a Revision Tool palette.
My idea is to add an activated/deactivated and shows palette when option in the group configuration.
My question was unclear.
Let’s consider a practical situation: you want to revise a document in a word processor: highlighting, changing font colors, making strikeouts etc, and occasionally editing the document.
To make things even simpler, let’s imagine that I want to create a highlighter with KBM.

• you want to use a display a palette which would display Highlighter and the trigger H (same principle would apply for all other revision tools).
  • you want the palette to be activated/disactivated when a shortcut is pressed.
    If you think about it, it is the only way to use a revision palette.
    The palette has to be displayed to see your revision formatting menu and it cannot always be active because you don’t want to forfeit the use of the letters serving as triggers, and you therefore have to be able to inactivate it to do any proper editing of the text.

Hey @ronald,

What you describe already exists; that’s exactly how the “Shows/hides a palette when” palette behavior works. Try changing your palette activation method to that and see for yourself.

As to your original question, it’s not possible to toggle between palette behaviors, but it is possible to use the “Show Macro Group” action to activate the same macro group/palette in a different way than its primary activation method without creating a whole other copy of the macros in question (i.e. one way can be used to show the palette for just one action, another way can be to show the palette and activate its macros until you hit the shortcut again and dismiss the palette).

1 Like

@peternlewis @gglick
Yes, Gabe is absolutely right.
Using everything works perfectly. My apologies to both of you for not figuring out by myself.
By the way, it makes for a superb tool to revise documents in any kind of text editor / word processor.
Thanks again very much to both of you.

1 Like

Glad everything’s working as you hoped now. Don’t feel too bad for not figuring this out on your own; KM’s depth is tremendous, and even though there are countless use cases that Peter has already brilliantly taken into account and provided functionality for, discovering and/or figuring out exactly how to make use of it on our own is not always intuitive or obvious. That’s why it’s so fortunate that this forum exists :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In addition to KBM’s functionalities, I am extremely fortunate and grateful that … you exist !

2 Likes