Just migrated to a new mac and get error message when trying to delete UUID files to avoid sync conflict

Hello,

I just migrated to a new mac and get error message when trying to delete UUID files to avoid sync conflict.
Migration mini 2018 intel to studio M1 silicon
I ran the following 2 commands in terminal mode in the M1 Silicon Mac

error message
Domain (com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine) not found.
Defaults have not been changed.

thank you

RT-Mac-Studio-2022-bought-Nov-2022:~ ronald$ defaults delete com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine MacUUID
-Mac-Studio-2022-bought-Nov-2022:~ ronald$ defaults delete com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine MacRemoteUUID
2022-11-16 15:58:45.176 defaults[25582:1688338]
**Domain (com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine) not found.**
**Defaults have not been changed.**

Did you migrate using Time Machine?
I migrated but Time Machine moved everything to the new computer.

1 Like

My understanding is that if you migrate to a new mac (with time machine or a clone backup) and plan on still using the old mac, and KBM sync is on for both macs, you create a macro sync conflict which you have to resolve by deleting 2 files.

This is my interpretation of the KM WiKi below.

How can I transfer my macros to a new Mac? in

Frequently Asked Questions [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

Something interesting happened (nothing to do with the above). After I completed the migration, the new mac worked for perhaps an hour and then started freezing, booting 10 times in a row. I had barely 15 seconds to do "something" between restarts. I spent a day from morning to night trying to figure out the problem. In the end, it seemed obvious that it was a hardware problem, ie the new Mac was a lemon, until I had a flash. An app which is notorious for causing such dramatic problems is Karabiner Elements. Just taking advantage of the small amount of time between boots, I managed to first inactivate and subsequently delete KE, and everything has been working fine since. Many posts describing similar problems in the Internet. Deleting KE was a huge pain and took me hours. The "normal" procedure did not work. Never again will I install that app however extremely useful it is.

You don't have to delete Keyboard Maestro's UUID defaults, unless you manually copy the entire Keyboard Maestro application support folder to your new Mac.

I.E.

~/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/

As for Karabiner – did you try booting into safe mode?

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

KE: Did you enable karabiner’s “priority option: Start before log in”?

If someone does delete the UUID defaults and it was not necessary, is it OK ?

Mac refuses to start in safe mode. It's the first thing I tried.

thanks

Yes.

1 Like

never knew of that option