Keyboard and Keystrokes, Alternative Solutions (Formerly "Karabiner, How Safe?")

I don’t get this. What are the newb-unfriendly things? I mean, show me a topic, where a newb’s question has been unanswered (assuming the “newb” provided the required info, either in the OP or once having been asked for it)

On your point Tom, this is for another topic isn't it? By your own criteria?
Let me be clear, people, including programers here try hard and we appreciate it. We really do, you get stuff here that most IT folk in a company or station would just sneer at you for asking and taking their precious time.

We value it and I am not going to get into a to and fro on this point. I introduce the point as food for thought. @JMichael has made huge efforts to explain stuff to me for one example and might consider this a 'outsider topic' or what we call them. There is a category for that I believe. I am not inclined to push this point too far individually though at present. Somethings just take a lot of work and Keyboard Maestro is in that category to some extent as you imply. We have at present 741 'active users'. I think that the app really is good enough to merit way way more than that. I really do. It is probably the best app for Mac.

@JMichaelTX, I suggest to split this topic, starting with post #26

IMHO it is going a bit OT.

This is true and worth to be mentioned, I agree.

But keep in mind that most people here are not “programers” (however you define this), me included. And, nevertheless they can provide help to others, because they are somewhat familiar with KM, or with AppleScript, or JavaScript, or whatever.

So, also you can provide help to others, for example when it’s on something you already built a macro for in the past, or a similar macro.

I really don’t think this is a nerd board, or newb-unfriendly.

2 Likes

For my part I’m retiring from this “discussion”.

I’m happily back once we are back on topic (more or less).

– Tom

First thing I looked at in fact was what I quote below: though I agree we should 'retire' from this discussion. The quote is from the topic called "Get the Current Position of a Keyboard Maestro Palette was this, first thing.

First thing I looked at actually amazingly. I am also sure I was a bit unlucky, some topics are quite 'newbie friendly'.
Nothing wrong with the topic either and I am sure it was useful, but if you that isn't off putting to a Newbie...
Also much of the topic is taken up with substantial bits of Javascript. I am not suggesting we don't put in topics like that by the way, but it might be as well to be aware of some of the impact of them somewhere along the line. I recommend this app and support it, I advise people even to get it, most of them are new not only to the app but to Mac OS, bear that in mind.

Still unanswered:

Your answer here: …

Tom,

It's all becoming much clearer now. I am trying to achieve several things:

1. automation: like the BookPedia text manipulation you did so much to help me with last week; repetitive actions on many other kinds of objects than text
  2. actions/routines: a single keystroke runs a script to launch, say, SuperDuper when I mount a backup thumb drive; or to batch rename files etc
  3. substitution/expansion: I type 'TYFYE' and 'Thank you for your email' (in Mail) is the result
  4. correction: I type 'biulding' and the utility corrects it and replaces that string with 'building'
  5. 'revelation': I have a clear view of all the available glyphs, diacritics and top-bit set ASCII characters
  6. mapping: I can use existing keys (modified and without modifiers to reveal 5

My original thought was that I could find ways to get KM to do all of those.

Now I doubt that I can.

But that's OK.

I suspect I'll have to spread appropriate applications across those six separate/distinct but at times overlapping activities thus:

1. almost always only KM
  2. KM and/or LaunchBar
  3. Typinator (and possibly, ideally, KM)
  4. Typinator
  5. KeyCue and PopChar
  6. Ukelele

All six?

Indeed. My thinking is a lot clearer now. I have all the tools (decided against LaunchBar for the moment). And have made myself a list of what I want to do in all these cases.

But that will change if I can see how to make KM do all of those.

I suspect I'll have at least 20. And would like to know it is potentially unlimited.

Yes, I think I may just have to be prepared to choose the most flexible tool for each job. Provided I keep charts and 'cheat-sheets' for how to do each action I can live with that!

Thanks Tom. That I shall do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tudor,

Thanks. Yes; very helpful. I'm working my way through Sparky now. Haven't yet come across anything different, versions 8 and 9 :slight_smile:.

Your advice about simple functionality over what only seems tidy (e.g. with clipboards) is well taken. Shall work along the route you suggest!

1 Like

I am sure we will speak again, nice to meet you actually and Tom too. I like his dancing bear, I am a GDead fan from years ago! To digress a little bit; several people I have spoken to think that the app landscape has kind of flattened out. I find I have gotten rid of a lot over the last year and am down to a set, about the same size, though not quite the same ones, that your suggestion points at. They do pretty much what I need, along with, to get on topic Karabiner for that one thing with the Hyper key.

+1 for that. I've been helped enormously, made to feel extremely welcome, and am learning a great deal.

Thanks to everyone!

1 Like

So, nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As you have already stated (“to digress”), this is another thing that could be worth its own topic. But here it is completely ill-placed.

automation: like the BookPedia text manipulation you did so much to help me with last week; repetitive actions on many other kinds of objects than text

Can be done only with KM GUI scripting or with AppleScript GUI scripting (aka Accessibility Scripting)

actions/routines: a single keystroke runs a script to launch, say, SuperDuper when I mount a backup thumb drive; or to batch rename files etc

To be done with LaunchBar, KM or similar script launchers.

substitution/expansion: I type 'TYFYE' and 'Thank you for your email' (in Mail) is the result

Optimally done with Typinator, can be done with KM only.

correction: I type 'biulding' and the utility corrects it and replaces that string with 'building'

Typinator or the OS’ correction. (or both.)

'revelation': I have a clear view of all the available glyphs, diacritics and top-bit set ASCII characters

Once you have your layout set, just invoke “Show Keyboard Viewer” from the Input Sources menu, and it will show you your mappings as it does with any default layout.

mapping: I can use existing keys (modified and without modifiers to reveal 5

What is “5”?

As said, I also already tried to do that. My – personally — best approach (so far) is to use LaunchBar and KM. Nothing more.

Just to mention it again: Ukelele is not part of this comparison, since it is just a keyboard layout editor.

KM and/or LaunchBar

These are no contradictions.

KeyCue and PopChar

PopChar is in now way related to KeyCue. Not even remotely. Same company, but completely different apps/purposes/scopes.

To sum it up (some way):

Create your optimized keyboard layout with Ukelele. This is hazzle-free and will be good a base. Your layout should contain all the glyphs you frequently use.

You have KM macros, so KM is out of question (to be eliminated)

You still might have symbols or entire strings, you want to trigger easily: Try with KM. If not sufficient, go Typinator.

If you still have the need to modify modifier keys or similar low-level stuff, then your only choice is Karabiner, or something similar. Personally I wouldn’t do it, unless really necessary.

The point is, you have to differentiate between the things:

Keyboard layout: Mapping of letters/symbols
Ukelele: An editor for keyboard layouts
Typinator: An text expansion tool
KM: Multi-Purpose tool; can do anything but editing keyboard layouts.
LaunchBar: Similar to KM; the both work very well together.

Actually having the KM Clipboard history is quite useful.

• I often have several things I want to copy from one app/document and paste into another.
  • Sometimes I need to repaste an item copied several clipboards ago
  • As of KM9 you can merge multiple clipboards into one with a user-specified separater.

Check out this macro:

1 Like

Indeed, clipboard history is essential, definitly.

Don’t see how I could make it without clipboard history.

Personally, I’m using the one by LaunchBar (since it accommodates better with the tap triggers), but KM’s is certainly eqivalent.

Tom,

== snipped ==

Based on what Ive learnt so far, Typinator is better suited, wouldn't you say?

== snipped ==

Sorry. I meant my number 5: 'revelation' (!) a quick insight into all the keys' mappings, e.g. with KeyCue.

Yes. In my case, I think I'm aiming for Typinator and KM as things stand now. But that may change. It's all becoming ever more clear, thank you.

Right. I think I understand that now. Though I have yet to try it. I shall.

No indeed - except that they both reveal something: PopChar the available characters in their respective fonts families; and KeyCue which keyboard shortcuts are available, application by application. It's the feedback/'revelation' aspect that made me put them in the same category; although of course they don't 'do' anything similar.

My approach now is to identify and categorise/group what I want to do. Then pick the best-suited tools in each case.

An unsolvable question! KM might be sufficient, start with that. Then add Typinator, when/if you feel the need. I think, Ergonis also provide trials, no? (Not sure.)

Not a bad choice.

But don’t forget LaunchBar. LB can take over text expansion (up to a certain degree) and it can launch your KM macros in a convenient way (i.e. without stupid fix hotkey triggers). And you can also build LB actions, similar to KM macros. Which, once you are familiar with AppleScript or JXA, is more convenient than tacking together the actions in the KM Gui.

Most of my KM macros originated as LB action. And many of the macros by me you see here, are transfers from an LB action. (I.e., written in AppleScript as LB action, then transferred to KM.)

But, in some cases KM is the better way to go… As said, the right tool for the job ;).
And KM provides easy access to things that LB doesn’t cover, for example peeiodic triggers, or folder watches, which are ouside of KM only accessible via launchd scripts.

If you would force me to decide on one single-and-only tool: LaunchBar, with KM as very close second.

PopChar

Indeed, PopChar is irrelevant here.

My approach now is to identify and categorise/group what I want to do. Then pick the best-suited tools in each case.

But take your time. I still have the impression that you are still mixing up purposes (e.g. between Typinator, KM, Ukelee, …). Though by far not as bad as at the beginning :slight_smile:

Tom,

They do. Yes. I'm going much more slowly than I was a week ago :slight_smile:

That's very important: keep it simple, memorable and manageable.

Ok. Have definitely not forgotten LB.

Which says a lot.

Thanks for your encouragement! You're right: much less confused. My plan is to work from what I need to do and try the most appropriate tool until I have them all doing what I want how I want. Thanks!

@MarkSealey, I highly recommend Typinator

• If you have a good number, let's say 100, or more of text expansions you need to create, or transfer. (Typinator offers an import from TextExpander. ) Certainly if you have > 1,000 expansions.
  • IMO, Typinator is easier to use, and much more compact than KM
  • Typinator is faster and more consistent that KM. Sometimes I have to re-type a KM Typed String several times to get it to trigger.
  • You can't use a KM Typed String trigger in a KM Prompt
  • Typinator has a great search

Since Typinator has a free trial, I'd suggest trying it to see if you like it.

For the record, I use both KM and Typinator many, many times a day.