Keyboard Maestro 2.1.3… on Mojave?

I've been playing around with Snow Leopard this weekend on my 2007 iMac. Mostly trying to see what works and what doesn't (ironically enough, Safari doesn't work on lots of sites, but Google Chrome does).

Anyway, of course I wanted to get a version of Keyboard Maestro on it… and my searches led me to https://www.stairways.com/main/download which has a nice chart of all of the versions of Keyboard Maestro to use depending on your version of macOS/Mac OS X/OS X :wink:

{Why don't all software companies do that?!?!}

Also, the "Find My License" will send not only the current version, but all the previous licenses that I've held, too.

{Why don't all software companies do that?!?!}

Anyway…

What led me to post is seeing this on https://www.stairways.com/main/download:

All versions of Keyboard Maestro back to 2.1.3 work with macOS Mojave.

LOLWUT?!

Ok, I am not a developer, but this crazy to me.

To be clear, 2.1.3 lists as a requirement "Mac OS X 10.3.9+" aka "Panther" which was released April 15, 2005.

How can it still run on Mojave?! (I did download it and try it out… the biggest roadblocks were macOS security warnings (Gatekeeper) which didn't even exist back then, I think. But it does still work.

4 Likes

Yes, I am very happy with the (very limited information) customer database I have and it's utility. I keep the minimum amount of data in it, but it has all your licenses, all the versions and download information.

I also like the download page (which frankly I refer to myself) with its detail on what version works for which. And while I only sell the current version, I happily add older licenses to accounts after a purchase, so if you own v8, but need v5, that's easily accommodated.

I also have each of the old versions of the documentation pages available.

And I am very proud of the fact that old versions of Keyboard Maestro continue to run. Sadly, Catalina will kill off version 2.x and version 3.x as Catalina requires 64-bit and version 4 was the first 64-bit version of Keyboard Maestro.

Keyboard Maestro strictly follows the API rules and so has continued to run despite the massive changes. Of course the older versions do not know about all the new security stuff, and the move to remove the Apple applications from /Applications and rename iTunes is likely to break a bunch of things in Catalina for older versions, but generally things that can be resolved relatively easily, though honestly I haven't looked at Catalina myself yet.

3 Likes

Well, I can tell you that you're in a very limited group of Mac developers who do this. Off the top of my head I can remember Keyboard Maestro, Hazel, Lingon X, and BBEdit as apps which made it truly easy to see which apps run on which versions -- and BBEdit didn't even go back as far as Snow Leopard.

Some developers can't even be bothered (or don't know enough?) to define a LSMinimumSystemVersion for their apps.

1 Like

a) I was surprised to see that even Snow Leopard had some 64-bit elements (and possibly could even be booted into 64-bit-only mode? Although I'm not sure why anyone would do that.)

b) I'm still not entirely sure why Apple is dropping 32-bit support. I mean, I get the whole "Well, if you aren't running any 32-bit apps then the system doesn't have to hold 32-bit libraries in memory" but can't you get that same benefit from just not running 32-bit apps? Or am I missing something? Well, this is OT for here, so consider that rhetorical, I guess.